Ich recovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have read that an Ich infested tank should be left empty for a month or more. Trust me after losing Ernie we are not looking to put any other fish in there for a while yet...gosh its only been 2 days. :( I put a carbon filter in yesterday....bubble wand and decor are still in there. :( any advice would be appreciated. Thanx

Cobaltskyy said:
So I have read that an Ich infested tank should be left empty for a month or more. Trust me after losing Ernie we are not looking to put any other fish in there for a while yet...gosh its only been 2 days. :( I put a carbon filter in yesterday....bubble wand and decor are still in there. :( any advice would be appreciated. Thanx

Add ammo or flakes, something to keep the tank cycled or the bacteria will die off in a month IMO.

Cobaltskyy said:
How often should I "feed" the tank??

I'd monitor the levels with tests just like if it were cycling myself, maybe even do PWC once a week. If you use ammo for dosing, keep the level around 4ppm and not much more other wise it could cause a mini cycle IMO.

I don't use ammo, I use filter media to cycle tanks.

So feed a little daily keep an eye on my levels and do pwc's weekly for at least a month? And by then Ich should be gone? What about my gravel vac, just rinse well with super hot water right?

Cobaltskyy said:
I don't use ammo, I use filter media to cycle tanks.

So feed a little daily keep an eye on my levels and do pwc's weekly for at least a month? And by then Ich should be gone? What about my gravel vac, just rinse well with super hot water right?

So you're going to use media from another tank? You don't put it back in the tank it came from, right? You could also use a raw shrimp and let that be a food source for the bacteria instead.

Yes, full on hot water is a must. I use vacs, nets and what not between tanks, but they get a really good washing in HOT water right after each use to avoid any transfer of whatever.

Yes media from another tank was used when I originally cycled it. If I need to I can use old media from by existing tank but I would Never think of putting it back in! Lol

I will probably just use flake food for now...I have shrimp in my freezer but just checked and they are pre cooked.

More Questions

I'd monitor the levels with tests just like if it were cycling myself, maybe even do PWC once a week. If you use ammo for dosing, keep the level around 4ppm and not much more other wise it could cause a mini cycle IMO.

:confused: OK :confused: Test results. Empty tank 3 days today. NO2 and NO3 are Zero. GH is 60 KH is 80 pH is 8.0.

To feed or not to feed????

Add media from safe 30 gal filter...

Last pwc was 75% on Friday night, should I do another pwc (i have been doing pwc 1-2 xs a week anyways or should I just leave it right now....will it just be stable for now...Im sorry im rambling.. Just trying to do this right. :p

:confused: OK :confused: Test results. Empty tank 3 days today. NO2 and NO3 are Zero. GH is 60 KH is 80 pH is 8.0.

To feed or not to feed????

Add media from safe 30 gal filter...

Last pwc was 75% on Friday night, should I do another pwc (i have been doing pwc 1-2 xs a week anyways or should I just leave it right now....will it just be stable for now...Im sorry im rambling.. Just trying to do this right. :p

What about ammo? no3 is a bit bothersome because you should see something to tell you the bacteria is working. Is the tank planted? if so how heavy?

I'd hold off on PWc for now, if it were my tank.

Nope....I was just reading another thread and realized test strips are not so good. Im going to get the liquid kit tonight! Oh and I put the other filter media in there from my 30 gal....hope that's ok...oh and I threw in about a tsp of some thawed frozen food, brine shrimp n a couple blood worms....since I thaw it in tank water alot of it was just juice...lol any other thoughts besides testing the ammonia accurately!?

Cobaltskyy said:
Api test kit right??

That's the kit I have and it works great. Don't let the cost throw you either, it actually saves you a ton of money in the long run :).

EDIT: Anything that rots is going to create ammo. I added media from another tank and used leftover peas from my fridge to fed the bacteria and it worked great on a new DT lol.

Forgive me I don't know all the lingo on here yet....DT??? Im assuming this means ________ tank.....don't know what the D stands for! Discus? Lol

Lol I should've known that lol...thanks for all ur help with this...I think im eventually going to put some of my community fish from my 30 g into this 10 g so I don't want to mess this up...

ok so its been almost three weeks no mini cycles! im itching to put fish in here! Soooo here's the good news-the heater from the tank i just found works (currently 74F) its an ehiem yay! I am going to crank it up to 87 then let it go back down to reg temp, then put my danios in there to breed (see my thread in DIY) . I have another ten gal cycling now for qt and any overflow of fry :eek:) so excited! I want a big school of danios for my 30 gal "DT" :)

ok so its been almost three weeks no mini cycles! im itching to put fish in here! Soooo here's the good news-the heater from the tank i just found works (currently 74F) its an ehiem yay! I am going to crank it up to 87 then let it go back down to reg temp, then put my danios in there to breed (see my thread in DIY) . I have another ten gal cycling now for qt and any overflow of fry :eek:) so excited! I want a big school of danios for my 30 gal "DT" :)

*86F :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom