Ich/rot/fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405380624.546819.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405380707.476117.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405380744.279050.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405380777.086567.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405380808.576565.jpg

Bit of back story: purchased gold sevs that were kept with a cod, so their fins were chewed up- treated with salt, stressguard, and large daily water changes. Fins grew back.
Bought 3 large sevs- from over crowded aggressive tank- they were in really rough shape. Treated ich with heat and salt. Bio filter crashed. Reduced heat and salt, large daily water changes, began treating with Cupramine.
Fin rot appeared to be setting in on the 3 large sevs, and now 3 juvenile sevs beginning to look really rough.
Remove Cupramine, large water changes, and began treating for bacterial infection.
The 2 large green sevs are in really bad shape and no longer eating.
Treating with trisulfa and salt water change and redose every 2 days.
One of the large green sevs (female) mouth began to rot and had to be euthanized. Her mate is hanging in there, but fin rot worsening. Removed him to clean his tail rot with betadine and replaced him.
The large gold sev that came with them has an ulcer (?) on his side that is not healing.
My three juvie green sevs have broken out in ich? They look in poor shape.
They are in a 170 gal bare bottomed tank (had been a display tank) with the large green sev separated by egg crate for his protection.

Should I stop trisulfa treatment and resume treatment for ich? Is there a med or meds that can be used in combination to fight both?

The tank also has 20 corydoras who have even spawned during all this!!
Also a syno eupterus and a sailfin pleco.

Thanks for at least reading this far!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does no one have any thoughts? What I am doing wrong or what treatment would be more effective? (Although most of the meds available in the US are not legal here in Australia ?)

Forgot to add: last night I gave the large green sev a 1hr bath in multicure while I did another 50% pwc and re-dosed with a cup of salt and 16 trisulfa tablets.

So an update just for the sake of completeness. After the trisulfa failed to heal the fish, I tried Paraguard. I used it both as a bath and in the tank. It also failed to make a substantial difference. The 2nd large sev and 2 juveniles have also died.

I am no longer treating with anything, and have turned my uv steriliser back on. Cupramine, trisulfa, Paraguard, multi cure and salt were all useless. If pristine water alone doesn't fix them then too bad. I'm sick of stressing over it. Some days I felt like just nuking the whole tank and being done with it.

Since the sickest Sevs died and were removed, the health of those that remain is improving.

Hi C, so sorry to read that you are having so much trouble trying to cure your fish, it really is sad losing our pets. Sounds like you have done everything humanly possible. I have 2 G Ss, love them to bits and unfortunately I am having trouble curing them of Ich, pulling my hair out, now am going to resort to meds. It's such a pain, that here in Australia, we don't have access to a lot of meds for our fish, that other countries have available ......it's not only the pets that suffer on that count!!
Sorry for your loss, fingers crossed that your other fish will pull through.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

What is your temp now? Do you think the temp increase for ich set off the fin rot?

I can't think of much as meds are so limited here. Tetracycline I've never found very useful and might harm good bb.

I have a link on the desktop to fishpond.com where I have ordered antibiotics from (furan 2 and kanaplex for gram- bacteria). Only problem was it takes about a month to arrive. Will post link tomorrow.

Edit - tri sulpha helps some with ich. I'd add that with your ich meds. I've only tried that with ich treatment using MG and formalin, not copper based treatments though.

Last edited:
What is your temp now? Do you think the temp increase for ich set off the fin rot?

I can't think of much as meds are so limited here. Tetracycline I've never found very useful and might harm good bb.

I have a link on the desktop to fishpond.com where I have ordered antibiotics from (furan 2 and kanaplex for gram- bacteria). Only problem was it takes about a month to arrive. Will post link tomorrow.

Edit - tri sulpha helps some with ich. I'd add that with your ich meds. I've only tried that with ich treatment using MG and formalin, not copper based treatments though.

Oops, came across a recommendation not to mix copper and sulpha meds.

*Do not mix with Sulfa based treatments/medications

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html

This is the website where I picked up Kanaplex and Furan 2. The link will probably only take to the fish pond website and than do a search from there. I got them sent separately as postage was free and in case one got rejected by customs. But both made it through WA quarantine with no problems. Cost is not fun but postage is free and mine don't expire until end of 2016.

kanaplex

furan 2

This is the website where I picked up Kanaplex and Furan 2. The link will probably only take to the fish pond website and than do a search from there. I got them sent separately as postage was free and in case one got rejected by customs. But both made it through WA quarantine with no problems. Cost is not fun but postage is free and mine don't expire until end of 2016.

kanaplex

furan 2

I've blown hundreds of $$$ in stuff that didn't clear customs. Even though if I paid a $300 or so permit fee, I could import as much as I wanted for twelve months.

Wow - what sort of stuff couldn't you get? Any tips? Main one I've lost was API liquid carbon from US - got rejected at state border :( Ordered it from interstate and no problems (just more expensive, grrrr).

Plants I have no hope. Was thinking of ordering from NT shop but they said they would charge 2 hours for paperwork. Same with fish I expect.

I can understand plants and fish and I guess some ferts but rest seems silly (especially when I can get it in Australia already).

I've had commercially packaged fish food, medications, test kits, prime, and I don't remember what else seized. The test kits, medications and prime were never allowed to leave the US, while the fish food and something else that I'm forgetting, was seized on arrival in Australia. I think a lot depends on who is shipping the products, as I have had NO luck with anything that has been handled by DHL.

Back
Top Bottom