ICH, Salt Treatment Safe for Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewH

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, my RTS came down with the dreaded ich and I just did a water change lowered my water level for aeration and turned my airstone on. I plan on raising the temperature 1 degree every 12 hours and adding one tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons. I'm also going to do daily 25% water changes and gravel vacs making sure I pick up all the cysts. My only question is since this is my first time treating ich. Will my applesnails and baby snails (Unkown Type) be okay with the salt treatment?

Snails and plants dont like salt although plants can tolerate some not sure on snail tolerance?.

Unfortunately I don't have another tank to throw the snails in so it's either do the salt treatment or don't.

Any sort of rubbermaid container with a lid would work I would think. Fill it up, chuck the snails in, then just feed them with some veggies or algae wafers while treating your tank. They wouldn't need much room. I would think even a quart sized container would work. I don't know if they might carry the ich though and reinfect your tank later...someone else might have to answer that one.

Any sort of rubbermaid container with a lid would work I would think. Fill it up, chuck the snails in, then just feed them with some veggies or algae wafers while treating your tank. They wouldn't need much room. I would think even a quart sized container would work. I don't know if they might carry the ich though and reinfect your tank later...someone else might have to answer that one.

Negative on the ich, pretty sure they don't carry ich. I guess I'll do that thanks for the advice.

I'm guessing I should not take water from the tank to hold the snails correct?

Back
Top Bottom