Ich - temperature, light, and feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I've read about fish TB before. Any site with more info on it? What is the recommended treatment?

Ugh...I lost another Tiger Barb, and now, one of the Red Platies (the previously healthy one that dropped fry) looks like she has fungus. There are two huge white growths on the tail, and parts of the body have some white film on it.

The Melafix looks like it's working for the others though. 2 out of the other 3 are almost fully recovered.

Picked up the lone Albino Tiger Barb 2 days ago. I decided not to put him with the Cories, lest he bring some kind of disease into that tank too. He's currently in his own little emergency QT tank (a converted drinking water container), with my 3rd filter running on it. Looks like the lone Barb will get another QT tankmate this week to replace the most recent loss. :?

Well, looks like there is no way around it. I'm going to have to buy another QT tank for the Red Platy that looks like she has fungus.

The addition of the Red Platies must have brought a host of diseases into the tank. Knowing how much they breed, I got each fish (1 male and 3 females) from a different LFS so that they wouldn't inbreed. Since their introduction, it's been one problem/battle after another. Before that, my tank had no problems for months. :cry:

Well, I've learned from this, always, always, always QT fish before introducing them to the main tank. I thought I could get away with skipping QT, since I'd never had problems before. Now, it looks like I'm headed toward a tank crash. :?

Knowing how much they breed, I got each fish (1 male and 3 females) from a different LFS so that they wouldn't inbreed.
Platies are Platies and will breed with any other Platy you put in the tank. Getting those Platies from different LFS has added to the problems. Instead of dealing with one LFS' bad water/diseases, which is hard enough, but you have multiplied that by four!
At this point, how many/what fish are in the main tank? you may need to treat the whole tank if there is a fungal outbreak.

Menagerie said:
Knowing how much they breed, I got each fish (1 male and 3 females) from a different LFS so that they wouldn't inbreed.
Platies are Platies and will breed with any other Platy you put in the tank. Getting those Platies from different LFS has added to the problems. Instead of dealing with one LFS' bad water/diseases, which is hard enough, but you have multiplied that by four!
At this point, how many/what fish are in the main tank? you may need to treat the whole tank if there is a fungal outbreak.

I'm back!

I knew that Platies will breed prolificly, but I didn't want siblings to breed with each other, thus weakening the genetic line. That's why I got each Platy from a different LFS. The Platies are still alive, but looks like whatever they brought with them wreaked havoc on an otherwise stable tank.

Right now, here's what I've got.

Main Tank:
4 Tiger Barbs
2 Albino Tiger Barbs
2 Siamese Algae Eaters

QT Tank:
4 Red Platies

Drinking Water Container coverted to QT Tank:
3 Panda Cories
2 Albino Cories
1 Albino Tiger Barb

When 2 of the Platies started growing fungus, the Cories gave up their home to the sick Platies, and moved in with the new Albino Tiger who was in QT as a new arrival. In a couple of days, the new Albino Tiger will have been in QT for 2 weeks, and the Cories will have been separated from the main tank for 3 weeks. The new Albino Tiger looks ok after 2 weeks, so in a couple of days, the Cories and Albino Tiger will rejoin the main tank.

Even though only 2 of the Platies had fungus, I decided to treat all 4, since they seem particularly susceptible. I treated them for 1 week with Waterlife Protozin, and they all look ok now, except for the one that originally started growing fungus. She looks like she still has some fungus if you look really closely, so I'm going to try to treat them with Waterlife Myxazin to see if I can clear that up. I could opt for stronger meds, but I like the Waterlife line because they do not harm the nitrifying bacteria. The Platies will remain in QT for at least another 2 weeks, assuming the fungus heals completely. As for the fin rot that the Platies were experiecing earlier, Melafix took care of that quite nicely.

The main tank (and the Platies in QT) have finished their high temp ich treatment, and I've been gradually lowering the temperature. It's currently at 80.6 degrees, and should be back to the normal 77.9 when the Cories and new Albino Tiger rejoin the main tank.

2 of the Tiger Barbs in the main tank look pretty skinny, but they are still eating and active. I guess the heat took it's toll on them, as well as the 2 that I lost. I may move the skinny ones over to the drinking water container so they won't be fighting their larger tankmates for food.

On another note, you don't realize how effective the Cories are at cleaning the substrate until they are not there anymore. My gravel vacs are picking up a lot more waste and uneaten food than I've ever seen. Prior to my bout with Ich, I had Cories in the tank ever since the tank was set up, and the gravel vacs never picked up much.

On another note, you don't realize how effective the Cories are at cleaning the substrate until they are not there anymore.
No kidding!!

It sounds like things are going well. Keep an eye on the skinny barbs. They may just not be strong fish.

Menagerie said:
No kidding!!

It sounds like things are going well. Keep an eye on the skinny barbs. They may just not be strong fish.

:D The new Albino Tiger and the Cories have rejoined the main tank just now. They all look much happier than in the drinking water container.

As time goes on, the two skinny Tigers look like they are becoming less skinny. :)

I also started treating the Platies in QT with TetraMedica FungiStop, as it's also advertised not to harm the nitrifying bacteria. As for the fungus, as I mentioned in my last post, the one that had it first, and had it the worst is mostly cured, but if you look really closely at the tail where the fungus first appeared, you can see two really faint residual white marks. I'm wondering if that is just a scar. If there isn't any fungus left, then no need to keep medicating. After the last dose of Waterlife Protozin, the two faint white "spots" is what is left.

The really fat female Platy looks like she might be ready to drop fry, as she is starting to hide behind the heater a lot. If she drops, the fry I guess will have to fend for themselves in the bare tank until the medication regimen is complete. :?

Back
Top Bottom