Ich that never detaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most fish diseases are overwhelmingly gram negative (such as fin rot). Erthro is gram positive and this is why it is not helping.

It was reccomended to me for both fin rot and columnaris though? This all started with some platys I quarantined and realized had some kind of fungus or fin rot and returned to the store. I thouroghly boiled all of my media in the quarantine tank and sterilized everything but I keep having issues. What should I be treating? I'm going to at least finish the erytho treatment I started, it wasn't cheap

It seems that there's no medication that people agree on for columnaris. After a few failed treatments I picked what the majority of people in aquarist forums seem to recommend, which was maracyn, which is the same thing as ethromycin. Ive been treating for parasites up until this point, I'm trying a fungal and bacterial infection medicine now, I've already started the treatment and it cost me quite a bit, so I'm sure you'll understand that I'm going to finish it and see if it helps. I've spent so much money on different treatments for these random and mysterious diseases that everyone disagrees on not just what it is but how to treat it. It's turning out to be very confusing and expensive. Though I do really appreciate all of the help and advice I've been receiving from people, hopefully we can properly identify what my problems have been and then determine what I should do.
I've seriously tried everything, and I'm not even sure what they have at this point. If the problems I'm having are the same disease or different problems that keep recurring, im not sure.

And actually I started the treatments today, so there's not a way to tell yet if it's working. If it doesnt it will at least narrow the possibilities of what I have and if it's gram negative.
I just feel like every single decision I've made to treat my fish is the wrong one to somebody. It's very frustrating.

Let's recount what I've tried in the past couple of months both for what I thought was ich and what I thought was body fungus or columnaris, but could be nothing at all or something else.
I tried salt and heat for potentially an ich outbreak That came on a royal farlowella and killed him. It disappeared after I tried super ich cure.
Then I bought some platy and put them in quarantine, the next day they had body fungus of some kind and one was nearly dead. I took them back to the store and sanitized my qt tank.
Soon after that I noticed my diamond tetra had white patches on their chins, I tried melafix because my lfs people are retarded. Then i tried tetra lifeguard, because again retarded. It just went away on its own after I was done with that treatment. It probably wasn't columnaris since it didn't kill them or progress rapidly. I bought the erythromycin before it disappeared and saves it. Then I thought things were good.
Then the gourami got those spots in his fin. After two weeks of rid ich nothing changed and no one got infected. So I moved my angelfish out of quarantine and into the main tank and moved the gourami into qt. the angelfish got a weird film on him and the gourami is still the same. I'm treating both tanks with the erythromycin now because **** everything. Pics in a moment.

So, here's what my tetra looked like before it cleared up. What my angelfish looks like now. The current state of the gourami. And also a platy that I'm paranoid about their lip looking swollen.

Attachments

• image-921210828.jpg
    image-921210828.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-51471084.jpg
    image-51471084.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2213221714.jpg
    image-2213221714.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 56
  • image-2315514875.jpg
    image-2315514875.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image-2642890000.jpg
    image-2642890000.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image-4239977259.jpg
    image-4239977259.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 63
In the main tank my gh is 60, my kh is 40 (a bit higher than my normal, potentially the meds?) my ph is 7 and my nitrates and nitrates are zero. My qt tank is the same, maybe slightly lower ph. And my water clarity is pretty nice as you can see.

Attachments

• image-3510296934.jpg
    image-3510296934.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 58
I am truly sorry you are having such issues with your fish! Finish the course of treatment your doing. If there is no change or fish take a turn for the worse at ANY point, then its time to change directions. You have a very nice tank, btw!!

In respect to the angel, he/she looks like a bacterial or a fungal infection but its difficult to tell from the pics.The problem with fungal infections is that they are typically secondary to an already present bacterial infection. A simple option you can try is to give her daily methylene blue bathes and see if this helps. Do not use it in your tank though! I will also suugest you order some kanamycin sulfate. Seachem makes Kanaplex and its available online from most big aquatic retailers & ebay. Theres a few other brands of kanamycin as well under different retailers. Good luck!

It's kind of what it looks like to me too. Do I do the methylene blue baths and the kanamycin conjunctively or do I do one or the other? I'm very nervous about doing a bath treatment and stressing the fish (and still not eleminating the cause from my tank). But kanamycin was the next thing i was going to try. Could the bacterial infection be what was on my platy and tetra too? It's such a mild case though the current treatment might help. To be honest none of the fish have acted sick at all.
Thank you again for the help!

Still no clue about the gourami. I know ordinarily you can't treat ich in cyst form, but could the ich have potentially died still attached and no longer be going through its life cycle?

You can do meth blue bathes 1x a day in addition to treating the tank with kanamycin. Meth blue stains everything & anything it touches so its not a good option for treating a tank. I would suggest salt with the kanamycin but not with all your plants. Kanamycin is an excellent gram negative antibiotic but just be aware that it may affect your good bacteria (same as any other gram negative antibiotic). Bathes are pretty easy to do but if your worried about doing them or concerned about overly stressing your fish, just skip them. :)

I'm nervous about the baths do its probably my last resort. Is that the same stuff thats in the rid ich? because that stains EVERYTHING blue, I have to be so careful putting it in the tank.
Salt treatments haven't much bothered my plants before, but they also haven't worked. Ive had surprisingly few plant issues, all of the random fish problems were sort of unexpected!

The angelfish has made a full recovery. I think that these problems have been primarily stress related. The gourami seems to be doing better, although he still has two spots, they seem to me to be smaller. I put a bunch of offshoots of the plants from my main tank in there to make him feel more secure and he instantly became more active and less shy.

Well, the angelfish actually does still have a couple of patchy spots, but I need to lay off the meds for a little while. It may potentially get a little better on it's own without the stress of medicine after medicine, it's certainly better than it was. The platy have been sort of pecking at her, which maybe exacerbating the issue, otherwise she acts normal.

Back
Top Bottom