ich that wont dissappear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosie2345

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
last week i found out that my tank had a parasite, after doing some research i concluded ich. i bought medicine for the tank called tetra lifeguard all in one treatment. its a 5 day cycle for the med, im on day 5 now out of the 3 fish that have the white spots only 1 is semi better. the worst is the stripped catfish he looks like the parasite is growing off of him in long spore like things.. iv had him the longest and he is huge so i wouldnt want for him to die seeing hes a beast.. if someone can point me in a different direction with medicine and help that would be terrific.. thank you guys for your time and support.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

slowly turn up your heat to 86 degrees... do this no more than 2 degrees a day. Leave it this way for 2 weeks after you see the last white spot. Do frequent water changes, vacuuming the gravel very good each time. Stop dosing meds. it should clear up within a week or so.

You may have to lower your water level a bit, or add an air stone, as the higher temps mean less oxygen in the water. just keep an eye out for the ifsh gasping at the surface

Doesn't sound like ich it sounds like shedding. You sure the white spots were ich? Could they have been bites from other fish?

@mfdrookie516... thank you man but my tank heater has an auto heat. heats it to 78 and thats it.. im going to do a water change today 25% should i just take out the fish that are infected.. also what kind of meds can i use for my cat seeing his fins are torn up from this dam parasite

@ yes my cat fish is the only one that has it and no other fish in the tank messes with him.. seeing he is big and barbs and all... and its all over him fins, bottom side, sides and top

you need a heater that is adjustable. I refuse to use any meds in my tank other than pimafix and melafix... they're all natural extracted from some kind of leaves... anyways, the water changes will straighten up the torn fins, but you can also add melafix to help if you wish. As far as the ich is concerned, heat and gravel vacs

I would guess you probably could... I have never been to a petco, so I couldn't say for sure. It's a really common med though, every place I've ever been to had it. I'm almost positive that walmart even carries it.

When/if you get it, do a 50% pwc, dose it, then repeat the next day (it says not to change water for like 7 days i think, but ignore that).

i just got over the ich in my 55 gal, i used this product called ick cure from api, its worked on the first day and on the 3rd day ick was gone worked for me. i also turned up the heater to 86, didnt do that turn it up a bit once a day i just cranked it up and it slowly went high. it doesnt take 2 min for the heater to heat the water it takes a while. all my fished survived..

i understand and i have alot of money in that tank.... it was just my one and only original fish and i wanted him alive the most outta all of them

Back
Top Bottom