Ich treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gboy66 said:
Awesome! Question, does the temp at 86 kill the ich, or just cause it to go away for the time being??
quote from aquahobby.com
'The Ich life cycle is temperature dependent. Higher temperatures within its livable range speed up every stage of the life cycle, while the lower temperatures will slow it down. At 18°C/64°F the cycle takes 10-12 days to complete.

It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984), [1]'

Hope this helps.

Thank you. So your saying that since my temp is at 86, the ich parasites will go away and stop producing, but wont die? Could it infect my fish again later on them?

Gboy66 said:
Thank you. So your saying that since my temp is at 86, the ich parasites will go away and stop producing, but wont die? Could it infect my fish again later on them?

From what I understand when the ich 'falls' off the fish into the substrate to reproduce the heat stops it so it just dies instead.

Oh great! I was worried that id have to boil my fish in order to get rid of this stuff!! :)

Ya i figured, ill probably keep the temp up of 3 weeks after! Im paranoid now hahaha

That's why you have to keep the temp up for weeks... 86 will stop the reproduction cycle...if you cut that off then eventually it'll starve off. If you're at 86 and fish are not showing stress signs...id bump it up to 88... that way you should be actively killing the ich as well... if gouging that route, leave it at 88 for 3-4 days then back it down to 86 for the remaining weeks

Does ich kindof just from fish to fish? My tetras had it the worst and my hatchets were all clear, but now my tetras are mostly clear, and tr hatchets have it badly...any info? Thank!! :D

well the thing with ich it has 3 stages the last one being the visible one, also may be they had it but in the gills where u couldnt see, usually if u can see ich in one fish more than one if not all have it

Oh so its just showing up now? Not jumping fish? Haha and one it appears, then dissapears that means its gone? Or gone back into the gills?

ich has 3 stages and the last one being the visible one as i previously said, but just because it disappears from one fish doesnt mean that he is completly heal plus the visible its just the last part of the life cycle and it drops and then it multiplies

Oh i did! Thank you very much btw!! Just was wondering if it dies when it falls off

no it drops to the substrates to reproduce but thats when the meds or salt kills it but what the heat does it stops their reproduction so verytime they drop they wont reproduce and that keeps goin untill all its gone

Back
Top Bottom