Ich treatment and plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't believe it! The dreaded ich is back! I see a few spots on two of my clown loaches. I successfully treated with heat and adding a small amount of sea salt last time. But that was before I got my gold nugget pleco.

Question: Are either the heat or the salt harmful to my pleco? I read that the gold nuggets are somewhat sensitive to water parameters, but that's about it. I turned up my heater, so the heat will gradually rise. I have not added salt yet. Please advise!

Increase the heat, and that should work. If you raise the temp slowly enough, the pleco should not be adversely affected. I'd scrap the salt, not needed.

Heat is coming up slowly, and everyone seems fine so far. Although it is possible this latest infestation was a continuation of the last one, I don't think it was. I had heat up and salt in for almost two full weeks after the last spot was gone. I think it must have snuck in with the new loaches. Anyway, it looks like I caught it early this time around, so hopefully I will be sucessful in getting rid of it without any casualties.

EDIT: I just sat in front of the tank for a few minutes and did a closer inspection. Everyone looks clean except for the three new baby loaches. They each have about 4-6 spots each. I think they are definitely the culprits!
img_568139_0_9d815e06302c4e655e0421201b00fb2f.gif

ime--salt is fine with loaches and plecos for ich treeatment--having done it myself--and having read a lot of literature that supports the use of salt with these fish. it seems to be quite a contentious issue--however my loaches and plecos did fine--and i used the full strength of salt recommended for treatment of ich. however if you have plants and/or snails, don't use it--disaster!

besides, heat alone will take care of the ich, so you really don't have to use it if you are worried.

crazycat said:
ime--salt is fine with loaches and plecos for ich treeatment--having done it myself--and having read a lot of literature that supports the use of salt with these fish. it seems to be quite a contentious issue--however my loaches and plecos did fine--and i used the full strength of salt recommended for treatment of ich. however if you have plants and/or snails, don't use it--disaster!

besides, heat alone will take care of the ich, so you really don't have to use it if you are worried.

I've used heat and salt to get rid of ick, which was successful. I used only 1tsp per 10 gallons, which isn't much, and the loaches were fine with it. I also had a pleco a while back ago, and I used some salt, as I read fire eels prefer a little salt, and had no side effects on the pleco. Again, it was 1tsp per 10 gallons. As long as it's done slowly, IME, has not hurt plecos or loaches. Currently I'm in the process of lowering the tank temp back down to 78 degrees, as yesterday was the 2 week mark after the last sign of ick. Also with the PWC's, not adding salt anymore.

Back
Top Bottom