Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ich Treatment Help!

Hi All
Four days ago on Monday one of my neon tetra started to develop ich.
Decided not to use the medication path, I slowly turned up the temperature of the tank to 30C hoping that the parasites would not reproduce and create new cysts on the tetras.
However, two days ago on Tuesday more tetras developed the cysts. In respond to that I slowly turned the temperature up again to 32C hoping that the ich parasites still swimming around would be killed.
At 32C the 7 tetras seemed to be energetic and did not show signs of stress because they still do schooling and alot of swimming.
However, today is Thursday and more cysts are seen and more tetras developed the cysts.
I just added two teaspoon of non-iodized NaCl into my 10gallon tank.

Would the situation become better? Right now it seems to me that the heat method isn't very effective because new cysts keep developed during the four day treatment. The heat just doesn't seem to stop the parasites from invading the tetras because new cysts keep appearing.
Thanks!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold123456th
Hi All
Decided not to use the medication path, I slowly turned up the temperature of the tank to 30C hoping that the parasites would not reproduce and create new cysts on the tetras.
However, two days ago on Tuesday more tetras developed the cysts. In respond to that I slowly turned the temperature up again to 32C hoping that the ich parasites still swimming around would be killed.
At 32C the 7 tetras seemed to be energetic and did not show signs of stress because they still do schooling and alot of swimming.
However, today is Thursday and more cysts are seen and more tetras developed the cysts.

Would the situation become better? Right now it seems to me that the heat method isn't very effective because new cysts keep developed during the four day treatment. The heat just doesn't seem to stop the parasites from invading the tetras because new cysts keep appearing.
Thanks!
Hi...are you sure your heater is working? You said you turned it up...but do you have a separate method of double checking the temp? The free swimming ich shouldn't be able to attach at that high temp...or reproduce for that matter. Have you done any large water changes to get rid of some of the free swimmers? Adding the salt should help too...but I would double check your water temp. Heat and salt have always worked wonders for me.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botanica View Post
Hi...are you sure your heater is working? You said you turned it up...but do you have a separate method of double checking the temp? The free swimming ich shouldn't be able to attach at that high temp...or reproduce for that matter. Have you done any large water changes to get rid of some of the free swimmers? Adding the salt should help too...but I would double check your water temp. Heat and salt have always worked wonders for me.

I have a separate thermometer attached to the tank and it says 32C.
I did a 25% water change this morning
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold123456th
Hi All

Thanks!
King British do a treatment which my lfs use and I use and my friend used when he was in your situation trying all ich treatments and nothing worked until he treated it with this one. It's called original formula ws3
Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is normal. The ich will become worse for a period of time before it starts to improve using the heat method. No reason to panic! Just keep the temp steady in the 32c range and make sure theres plenty of aeration. Some extra water changes with grav vacs are recommended.

Tags
eat, ich, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com