Ich treatment over...now what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't had much luck using HEAT and SALT, I had ich once not too long ago in one of my tanks.. I had the temps are 86-88f for over a month and even went to 90f which killed some of my neons.. and nope.. didn't do anything to ich.. I think they are becoming resistant to heat..

What did work however was Marinlands Ich remedy.. I love this stuff.. Cured my Ich in a week and never came back.. I had ich in another tank later on and used the same meds.. bam ich gone..

The only problem with Victoria Green/ Malachite green which are the same thing is it causes cancer.. Don't get it on your skin and don't put your hands in the tank when treating.. I also am wondering if it could cause cancer in my fish long term.. But I had no choice heat and salt never works for me. They have banned Malachite green for use in farm fishing for consumption because of the cancer risks.. and im surprised it isn't labled on the bottles giving a warning about to keep off your skin..

I heard it is going to be banned for use in Pet medication soon as well. It doesn't just kill external parasites it also kills fungus as well.. which is why fungal medication uses it.

I dunno whats worse.. using a harmless medication in the short term.. but unknown effects long term.. Or using high heat which btw can hurt fish's organs and stuff.. You guys do realize it isn't the lack of O2 that kills the fish but they are basically being boiled alive.. I personally think heat is a cruel way to kill ICH, id rather use Malachite green

I haven't had much luck using HEAT and SALT, I had ich once not too long ago in one of my tanks.. I had the temps are 86-88f for over a month and even went to 90f which killed some of my neons.. and nope.. didn't do anything to ich.. I think they are becoming resistant to heat..

What did work however was Marinlands Ich remedy.. I love this stuff.. Cured my Ich in a week and never came back.. I had ich in another tank later on and used the same meds.. bam ich gone..

The only problem with Victoria Green/ Malachite green which are the same thing is it causes cancer.. Don't get it on your skin and don't put your hands in the tank when treating.. I also am wondering if it could cause cancer in my fish long term.. But I had no choice heat and salt never works for me. They have banned Malachite green for use in farm fishing for consumption because of the cancer risks.. and im surprised it isn't labled on the bottles giving a warning about to keep off your skin..

I heard it is going to be banned for use in Pet medication soon as well. It doesn't just kill external parasites it also kills fungus as well.. which is why fungal medication uses it.

I dunno whats worse.. using a harmless medication in the short term.. but unknown effects long term.. Or using high heat which btw can hurt fish's organs and stuff.. You guys do realize it isn't the lack of O2 that kills the fish but they are basically being boiled alive.. I personally think heat is a cruel way to kill ICH, id rather use Malachite green

Heat is clearly not a good method for all fish. But Ram cichlids? Discus? Cardinal tetras? Especially for fish that are used to high heat anyway, an 87 degree treatment can work extremely well. Again, fish have means of dealing with heat stress. In the wild, high temperatures can and do happen.

I don't think any one method is best but it's probably foolish to dismiss any method either, if it has been demonstrated to work. I've used all sorts of chemicals, heat, and salt to treat ich before- sometimes one method doesn't work so I try a different one till it does.

The funny thing is the tank that got Ich was my discus tank... And my temps are always at 84-86f... So if they got ich at 86f lol then that shows you that whatever ich strain I had was deff resistant to heat.. I went to 90f for over a week and nothing changed except like 6 dead neon tetra's.. That's why I don't bother with heat anymore.. Im just going off personal experience.

The funny thing is the tank that got Ich was my discus tank... And my temps are always at 84-86f... So if they got ich at 86f lol then that shows you that whatever ich strain I had was deff resistant to heat.. I went to 90f for over a week and nothing changed except like 6 dead neon tetra's.. That's why I don't bother with heat anymore.. Im just going off personal experience.

Well if it started at 86, it's obviously a resistant strain to begin with. I've had success and failure with every single kind of treatment. I had an entire tank wiped out by ich after treating with chemicals- that's what got me to try salt and heat in the first place. I've had both success and failure with all kinds of treatments.

Back
Top Bottom