Ich/White spot best treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan79

Aquarium Advice Freak
It would appear that i have an Ich infestation and was wondering if people think heat and salt treatments or medications work best to treat the issue. I have Quarantine tanks and spare heaters. I just want to know what people think is the best solution.

No definitley dont put them in a QT tank if one fish has ick then most likely your whole tank has it, the best thing you can do is raise the temp slowly and add half dose aquarium salt. And then i would do a gravel vac every other day. The gravel vac is a must because thats where the parasite goes when it falls off the fish

Al...

You can treat this parasite with salt, a little heat and an aggressive water change routine that includes careful vacuuming of the bottom material. Avoid putting chemicals, other than the standard water treatment into the water. You don't know how your fish and plants will react. A couple of healthy teaspoons of standard aquarium salt added to every 5 gallons of your replacement water is needed. This is enough to retard the growth of future generations of the Ich parasite, so there's little or no reproduction. Raise the water temperature to 80 degrees. This is enough to shorten the lifespan of the parasite and not damage aquatic plants. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. There will be some parasites there. Change most of the tank water every 2 to 3 days and feed the fish just a little when you change the water. You don't want uneaten food to mess up the tank water any further and sickly fish aren’t likely to want to eat much.

You can stay with these steps as long as it takes the fish to recover. Once the parasite is gone, return the tank to routine settings and change most of the tank water weekly for the life of the tank. Keep it simple and there's fewer things you have to remember to do.

B

Thanks for the advice guys. In the end I had already bought some blue planet rapid white spot remedy and took the temperature to to 81.

It's seemingly working well after 2 treatments and a 50% water change between them. Only one fish still has issues and it has improved rapidly. I'll keep up the treatment for a few weeks after the signs are gone. I decided to just treat them in their own tank since I have a million snails I'm their that would just have become new hosts of is moved them to a qt tank.

Back
Top Bottom