Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ichy ich please go away! Don't come again another day!!

Need advice in regards to Ich. I've owned a tank for years and have luckily never had a bout with the ichy stuff. Until now, boo/hoo! I have mollies, platties, neons, 2 kuhli loaches, 2 cory cats, 2 ghost shrimps, 1 otocinclus, 1 clown loach, and 1 dojo loach. I've treated my tank with Mardel Coppersafe (1 tsp per gallon). Have lost almost all of my neon tetras since I did the treatment. And my clown loach doesn't look like he's going to make it and after reading more on this site I'm thinking the shrimp either. QUESTION #1: Do I need to do something in addition to the coppersafe treatment? QUESTION #2: And because I have two tanks ( I care for my son's also) I've of course used the same net and suction in his tank that I use in mine. He has a rainbow shark, gold snail, kuhli loach, ghost shrimp, and cory cats. Do I need to treat his tank even though I don't see any signs of illness? Or just keep a close eye on it? Any help/advice would be so very greatly appreciated. I see that within this forum there are those suggesting salt and raising the water temp. QUESTION #3: Is it too late for this (water temp raised & salt) since I used the coppersafe? What to do...what to do...??

Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do a large %90 WC and run carbon for a day or so to get the copper treatment out of the water. Then remove the carbon from the filter. If you want to use meds use something with Malachite Green, and Formalin combo. Use at half dose, due to the clown loaches and Kuhli's. The temp and salt should work also , but again be careful of the concentration due to the loaches and cories. Copper treatment is pretty harsh for Tetras, and shrimp.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com