Ick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I think one of my cories has ick. He has little white specks all over him, and they are definitely not natural! Hes in a 29 gallon community tank with 4 guppies, 3 platys and 5 other Cory's. What is the best way to deal with this problem?

Does it look like grains of salt or sugar sprinkled on the fish?
Slowly over a day or so increase the temperature up to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase vacuums and water changes
Leave the temp up for at least 1 week AFTER the last spot is seen

Thanks for the reply! Umm I can't really tell.... What does it mean I it's salt or sugar?

Yeah, that's definitely what it looks like.... How quickly should I increase the temperature?

Mumma.of.two said:
1-2 degrees every 1-2 hours. Make sure you increase surface agitation by adding an air stone or lowering the water level so the filter splashes.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Ok, that's the rate I've been doing, and I lowered the water level. All my other fish don't seem to be infected as of yet, right now I'm at 80 degrees.

Well, sadly, my Cory died this morning, so is there another way to tell when the ich is gone?

Oh man, another of my Cory's is upside down barely breathing, if he's not dead by the time I come back from practice I'm gonna put him down.... He seemed fine earlier today, and had no signs of ich... Could it have been the heat? Or ich I couldn't see?

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry. Are they gasping like they aren't getting enough air? What your temp at?

Thanks, no all the other fish seem fine, they're all acting normal, the temp is right around 84 degrees

Well he died, the temp is steady at 86.... I hate these diseases, another loss would be brutal.....

Back
Top Bottom