Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've done some research, and from what I have found I believe my fish has ick. If some one can look at my pics an tell me if this is really what is or not that would e great! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image-144292117.jpg
    image-144292117.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2993914107.jpg
    image-2993914107.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3814711669.jpg
    image-3814711669.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 66
Little hard from the pics you have posted, are the spots located mid section of the guppy? Ich looks like grain of salt on there body. They may flash or flicker not sure what they call it but you will see them rubbing on decors or gravel.

The first picture of the guppy looks as if it has ick. They are white spots usually on the tails of fish and their fins on the side of their body.

I'm sorry from the pictures I can't state for certain that it is or isn't. Sorry I can't help. I just don't want to mislead.

If however it is ick you would want to raise the temp slowly to 86 degrees, keep it there for 10-14 days and every 2nd day perform a 50% water change and clean the substrate and decor very very well.

Sorry for the quality of pics. It's hard to get a goo pick. The spots are on the fins and mid section back. Didn't see anything on the gills though. There's nothing on any of the other fish yet. I haven't added anything new to the tank, so I'm confused on how it got in there. I will start raising the temp tonight. Should I get any meds or quarantine?

Sorry for the quality of pics. It's hard to get a goo pick. The spots are on the fins and mid section back. Didn't see anything on the gills though. There's nothing on any of the other fish yet. I haven't added anything new to the tank, so I'm confused on how it got in there. I will start raising the temp tonight. Should I get any meds or quarantine?

Don't be sorry not your fault. If its ich its already in the tank. You can beat ich without meds.

Maybe this will help...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

A little better. Does it look its been sprinkled with salt or powered sugar?

It does a little. Not all over, maybe upwards of 5 or 6 spots on the body. The fins seem to have more on them. I have started to raise the temperature. Slowly of course.

Thanks for the link as well. I'm going to keep an eye on the fish as I raise the temp into tomorrow.

She didn't eat at all tonight and is/was prego( which by my calculations should have been this week or next). She seems to be skinnier then she was yesterday.

Thought I would update. Temp is up to 86 and holding. Everyone seems to e doing ok for now will continue monitoring them through out the week. I also have my air stone going.

Thought I would update. Temp is up to 86 and holding. Everyone seems to e doing ok for now will continue monitoring them through out the week. I also have my air stone going.

If it's ick (it looks like), it's important to keep the temperature for at least 3 days even after the spots are gone.
I have heard that some strains of ick are resistant to up to 90F, so keep an eye on it, because in this case 86F would end up accelerating the process but not killing it.

I have treated with salt before, and it worked like a charm. So, consider it if the temperature treatment fails. (y)
Anyway, I have heard of many successful temperature-only treatment!!

Good luck and keep us informed! :)

Did a 50% wc ( noticed the water wasdirtier than normal) today and did my scheduled feeding. A few of the spots have dropped off but still have a few on her. No other fish are showing any signs.

Rez: I have heard different things about how long to keep the temp up, would it be too much to go with a 10 day cycle either way?

One thing I didn't notice today though is she might be contracting fin rot ?. Will be doing some research and possibly postin a new thread for this new situation.( I know this is off topic so won't ask any questions in this thread)

I'm just hoping everything clears up before I go on my honey moon.

Rez: I have heard different things about how long to keep the temp up, would it be too much to go with a 10 day cycle either way?

I don't think 10 day is too much, but I have never done a temperature treatment.
The period between falling from fishes, reproducing in the gravel and looking for new hosts depends pretty much on the temperature. Higher temperature, faster the process. Ick is only vulnerable in this last step, but longer you keep the treatment, lower the chances of ick re-incidence.
Watch your fishes. They may look on fast-forward as well. :)

Thanks guys! Today I saw maybe one spot IMF my female nothing on any other fish. Now I'm not sure if I should be concerned with the fact that the female will be giving birth in the next few days! (Super excited and way off topic! Lol)

Thanks for the help guys!!

I am glad to announce that all the spots have disappeared of my female guppy. He looking pretty happy (gave birth two nights ago!) All her tank mates are happy as well. Will continue heat treatment for another 6 days from today. Will be adding some crushed garlic(or garlic juice) to their food for one week( hoping this will also help with the fin rot) to prevent anymore out breaks.

Tank is now ick free! Two more days left of eat treatment and no new signs of our break. Female guppy gave birth and we now have 5 new healthy fry. All happened just in time for my wife and I's honey moon. Thanks for the advice everyone. It helped a lot!

Back
Top Bottom