Ick !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbieb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just spotted ick in my tank. I'm doing the heat method to treat. Once I get it up to the proper temp if my memory serves me correctly, I leave it up for 10 days? Ughhh I forgot about all this fun. Wish me luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just spotted ick in my tank. I'm doing the heat method to treat. Once I get it up to the proper temp if my memory serves me correctly, I leave it up for 10 days? Ughhh I forgot about all this fun. Wish me luck.

Put your heater at 86 degrees for at least 2 weeks. Aerate if you can.

Thanks dcutl002.. slowly raising the temp now

I have increased my heat gradually. Added an airstone and removed a little water to add a little more aeration from my filter. I cant do salt because of my pleco.. so straight heat? I am not new to the hobby, just picked it back up after years away. I don't think I ever had ich. Unfortunately I have OCD and read and read on this and think I have information overload. Should I wait a day or so to do 25% water changes. . Or start today? Thanks for any input.

Edit: my previous comment was a little conflicting. I definitely have ich. What I meant was I dont think I ever dealt with it before... soo.. am I doing this right? Feel free to jump in. Helppp!! ;-) I'm pleased to announce I don't know nearly as much as I would like to

I changed my water every second day just make sure to match the temp :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More questions: so far everyone is hanging in there. I'm feeding light. All are active and hungry though. This is good. :) I've read to keep lights off. But I also have read that they need a certain amount of light. Any suggestions? Also, when we overcome this nasty hurdle.. should I change my filter? I'm sure I'll come up with something else. Thanks for everyone's input.

More questions: so far everyone is hanging in there. I'm feeding light. All are active and hungry though. This is good. :) I've read to keep lights off. But I also have read that they need a certain amount of light. Any suggestions? Also, when we overcome this nasty hurdle.. should I change my filter? I'm sure I'll come up with something else. Thanks for everyone's input.

You can change the filter if you want, but it is not necessary because the heat will kill the ich swimmers. If you do change filter media, stagger changing the filter media and the carbon so that you can keep the beneficial bacteria going. Have patience for 2 weeks. It'll happen.

Thanks so much. . Patience patience ;)

Wait it out with the heat treatment. It works. Like the other poster said, match your water temps when doing a water change. It can be a degree or two warmer but you don't want colder.

And I wouldn't recommend changing media. You want all the bb possible. Changing filter media could lead to a mini cycle.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will do.. I appreciate all the input. You have all been so helpful.

All are doing really. My pleco was covered at one point.. he looks great now. I haven't had any losses and everyone is handling the heat. We still have another week to go. I'm doing thorough vacuuming of my substrate. I have learned a valuable lesson. Qt Qt Qt before I put anything into my tank.

Edit : all are doing really well*

Back
Top Bottom