Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkc2186

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, so I recently bought a 6ft tank, due to unforeseen circumstances I unfortunately discovered the presence of ick. I raised the temperature and applied salt and ick treatment, I have removed all ornaments and plants from the tank, I have done frequent water changes and cleaned the gravel.....a few of the fish were covered in ick but now it has I’d say halved but some fish still look like they are covered in white spots. Can anybody tell me what I’m doing wrong or should be doing next? Thanks

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Frequent gravel vacs are important during the treatment as to dilute the parasite. What med are you using?

Thank you for your response. I’m not entirely sure what the name of the treatment is called, I’m pretty sure it’s just a none branded one as I just thought like with most things I’d be paying for the same thing just in a different bottle? If I’m wrong in thinking this I’m happy to go buy a branded one? Also I have a fluval fx6, should I keep this running? I have many different types of fish but it only seems to be my rainbow cichlid that are affected?

Keep your canister filter running. Remove any carbon / charcoal media. "Rid Ick" is a popular med among members of this forum. I've had success in the past using "Copper Safe".
It sounds that your outbreak is a minor one at this point. Might be a good idea to stay the course with your current treatment, heat, salt and WC's / gravel vacs.

Argh ok thanks, the treatment was only for 3 days, do you think I should just start the treatment again? It reduces every day from day 1-3?

Most parasite meds that I've used require a steady dosing of 7 - 10 days. It's your decision to make if you go another round of meds. Probably wouldn't hurt.

A real med [that would work] should not be used with heat or salt ..
Having all 3 going is not good for the fish.
I am one of the rid ich plus fans [ I own a 180g tank].
A proper treatment for ich has no time limit to it besides at least 3 days after you see the last spot ...A proper med would kill the ich in a week IMO or at least make a notable improvement . I have dosed Kordon Rid ich plus [NOT the herbal crap] up to two times the dose without problems .It does clearly say in the directions that two installments of meds per day can be used if needed.
IMO if a fish is even close to 'covered in ich' it losing and needs help ...
If you desire to buy the cheapest med make sure it has both Malachite Green and Formalin both. They are the most effective meds combined in the treatment of ich.
Here is a good link worth reading ;
Know your enemy..
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313202109/http://skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius

I’ve just had a read of that Coralbandit, thank you for your input :) so your advice would be at this stage to what? My temperature is currently at 86f, I’ve ceased adding salt for the past 2 days and haven’t applied anymore medicine as it ran out. I’m happy to go out and purchase a more expensive medicine. Do you have any suggestions in particular of what I should purchase or look for specifically? How often would you do water change and gravel cleaning? Thank you for your help it’s massively appreciated :)

Kordon Rid Ich Plus
The directions on bottle will be sufficient.
I have more then just a 180g tank but even when I had a 135 only I found buying a 1 gallon at less then $45 to be very reasonable and worth while.Sealed and kept from too much heat it stores for years..I am on my second one maybe 10 years...
Along with being a med fan for ich I am all against salt in any freshwater tank..Too few people have any info of what it really does or the fact that like copper it never leaves your water unless you remove it.
You need to change water to get it all gone ,no other way..
Meds ware out rather quickly due to organic load so even a full dose may not be as powerful as most think..
Start with big water change and the use meds .
Ich can only be killed when it is off the fish so keeping at full strength for a week is important IMO.The MG in rid ich turns water blue ,when the blue is gone it safe to assume the med is no longer active at an effective rate and needs to be re installed . So water quality is important in not needing to install more meds then would needed under ideal treatment conditions.
Vacuuming is important as it helps to physically remove the fallen ich so the meds can focus on others that have eluded removal.
Link on cheap gallon;
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwiovJ_brbjaAhWltVkKHXH6A1gQ9aACCEA&adurl=

I’m thinking, buy some more med, an do a 50% water change twice a week whilst cleaning the gravel every other day....what do you think?

Yes I’m in England, I’ll grab some interpet medication tomorrow. Thank you :)

The interpet white spot seems to choice for you guys but I am not sure of its ingredients ...
The 'whilst' gave your location away ....:whistle:

And here’s me thinking I was blending in as a yank hahaha

Back
Top Bottom