ick and fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjrom1022

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal community tank with (originally) 7 neon tetras and 5 guppies. The tank got ick and 2 guppies and 1 neon tetra died. out of the 3 guppies left, 2 look really good and are swimming around like normal, but one had white spots for a while and was very discolored, but today he started looking better and all the white spots came off. but, i also noticed his tail is very short and there is a red line on the end (like along the edge of the tail). i'm assuming it's fin rot? he has been left alone by all the other fish in the tank and he's just been sitting on the bottom for a few days so no fish has fin nipped him. does ick cause fin rot? or is it my treatment? i have the water on 86° and i'm doing a salt treatment, and changing 25% or more water everyday. all the parameters are good, and he's the only one with this problem. thoughts on what to do or what's wrong?

I don't believe ick causes fin rot, and your non-med treatment has probably prolonged your guppies life at least a little longer. A guppy is not exactly as durable say a green terror, and a guppy weakened by a parasitic infestation is even more fragile. It's likely that what ever is damaging your guppies fins is some other malady unrelated to ick. IMO your best course of action is to continue what you've been doing, keeping the tank clean via the WC' s, heat and salt until complete. When an outbreak occurs, no matter what type of treatment you choose, meds or non med you're still probably going to lose a percentage of fish. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom