ICK dilemma + treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swozzie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had one Rainbow shark in a 180litre tank. I added 4 Red Line Torpedo Barbs. The shark has done nothing but chase them about all the time.

After about a day of adding the barbs, I noticed one of them had a white spot on his nose (I can't be sure it wasn't there in the first place). I kept a close eye on him for a few days then noticed that the spot looked like it had burst. The next day it had almost gone completely. Then the next day it came back looking like it did the first time I noticed it. I also noticed some of the other barbs flicking themselves against plants from time to time, although very rarely AND another of the barbs has a cloudy eye (with a tiny white dot in the middle).

I decided the white spot is probably ICK even though there was only one spot on one fish so I started ICK treatment immediately.

Now I am in a dilemma. I want to move the shark to another tank since the chasing is almost certainly stressing the barbs out. The problem is, the other tank has only been setup for a couple of days.

What is the best thing to do, move the shark and stress him out by putting him in an alien tank that just been setup or leave him in the other tank where he continues to stress out the barbs?

Also bearing in mind they are all currently 1 day into ICK treatment.

Another problem is that the ICK treatment I am using (Aquarium Doctor WSP) says use one dose over a period of 48 hours! This doesn't make any sense to me because ICK has a 7 day cycle and you should continue to give treatment for 3 days after the last white spot falls off.

What I want to do is continue treatment 3 days after the last (there is only one) spot falls off but in the meantime do 15-25% water changes every day and dose the water changes with this treatment each time. Is this going to be safe since it is not what the instructions say?

I don't have much time, but read the FW ich article in the Articles section--there is a natural way to treat ich that I highly recommend. Also, I am not 100% certain you are battling ich since there is only one white dot.

I might have to go with Menagerie on this one. My rasbora got this white dot on it's mouth a while back, and it will disappear, and come back. I just assumed that it was some sort of growth or something, but not harming my other fish. I believe that you have solved your RTS problem in the other thread. So I wouldn't move the shark unless you are posiotive that it is ick, AND you see more white spots. HTH! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom