Ick! EEK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ffion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all I am new to the forum. (Tho I have looked here for advice before).
And have an Ick problem in my tank. I noticed it last night. My fish didn't have it the day before that I saw. (I watch my fish every day). I have a 36 gallon heated planted tank (low light). In it I have-
2 golden dojo loaches
6 long finned zebra danios
4 glowlight tetras
1 rubber nose pelco
4 female bettas
and an applesnail
the levels in the tank now are
nitrate 15
nitrite 0
alkalinity 180
ph 7.5
ammonia .1

Last night when I noticed it I started to turn up the heat alittle bit added 12 teaspoons of dissovled aquarium salt to start and did about a 20% water change with gravel vac.
This morning I have started to turn up the heat alittle more at 83F at the moment. And am getting ready to at about 5 more teaspoons of dissolved salt.
The hubby wants to go out and get Ick guard II but I don't know if he should add that...
Any suggestions or advice would be great! I am very new to Ick out breaks and the last time I had one it killed my whole tank.... (a goldfish and 2 platies)
:thanks:

Salt and heat work better. Just give it time. I do recommend changing 20% of water every day.

I'm not sure how your loaches, snail or plants will react to the salt. If you were to do salt it would be 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons everyday and a 50% water change every 2 days for 10-14 days.

I'd look into this further before adding the salt to your tank.

Yes salt and heat work great as it worked great for me but I didn't have plants or snails. My loaches did ok though.

I havn't had an ick problem yet, but from what I know about it - you're handling it well. I would up the water changes to 30% almost everyday. or 50% every three days. I've heard good things about ick guard - so I would try it, but others may be against it if they've tried it

Honestly I'm not too worried about the plants can always replace those. The snail seems to be doing really well. (I already added the salt. Most of it anyways) And later today I will be doing about a 25% water change. So far everyone in the tank seems to be doing as well as can be expected at this point. The only one I'm worried about is 2 of the female bettas the seem to be looking a little boated? (They are still alive) Anyone have any thoughts on what that could be?

IMO is stay away from chemicals if you can. I know your good to get different opinions but I would strongly advise against using salt in your planted tank especially the recommend dose of salt.

Also there's no need for daily water changes. You'll be just fine with 50% water every 2nd day and 3-4 after the last spot is seen, when everything is back to being ok do a massive water change.

Also remember to do a really good job of cleaning your substrate and decor when doing your water changes.

I just went through a ich battle in my 75 gallon African cichlid tank. Also to add ALOT of people beat ich with just high temp.

Good luck!!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148988

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/how-do-i-treat-ich-in-a-planted-tank-181227.html

You need to get the temp up to 86f or a tad more. Any less and it won't stop the ich. Make sure there is enough aeration in the tank. The warmer the water the less oxygen it holds.

Back
Top Bottom