ick? GBR Flashing Just Added URGENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkim1994

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just bought two GBR from my LFS,

I acclimated them and then added them to my tank. Took a quick shower and came to see if they where killing each other.

Instead, I saw that both started smashing themselves into drift wood and sand...

This freaked me out... I have had my tank up over a year, and never had an illness in my tank...

So, after watching a few minutes I caught them and put them floating in a tupperware with an airstone, and a plant, Dont have an extra heater, and the other ones mixing saltwater for my nano, too scared to put it in the tupperware...

Now I wonder if its pH shock, I really dont know.

Now do I have to be worried that now all my fish are sick? they were in my tank lass then an hour, but now I am worried...

What do I do All my other fish are just swimming happy... Did i just do something aweful, I should of kept my nano as a QT T.T I had one for my DG, but everyone else i never QTd... T.T

Should I take them back to the LFS tom?

Params:0,0,10 ph 7.2 temp 76

I have 6x Harlequins
7x pristella and cardinals (bought 7 thinking one might pass on but a year later still here!)
7x Panda Cory

QT for the safety of your existing fish is a great idea. As one who has had nearly all of a 72G thriving aquarium wiped out; I always recommend it.

If you can even buy a new plastic tote like a rubbermaid or the thinner opaque walled kind which will fit a HOB filter over the side, Very economical. Lots of gallonage for the $-$$. And you can drill holes in the top/cut our spaces for the HOB & tubing and have a top to keep the fish from leaping out. Then you just need a heater and HOB or air pump and stone (coupled with frequent pwc).

As for acclimating? Did you evenly add water to the bag a little at a time over the course of at least 20 min to half hour? I remove half of the lfs water and then add back in to near full, then empty half the water and repeat then remove new fish from bag to tank, adding none of that water from the bag.

Often you know the water parameters from the lfs and if they are basically the same it can go much faster. (You can ask them to check their tank before you leave if they don't really know)

Not to go off topic as i want to help....but what does GBR stand for?
As for smashing themselves, are they just kind of like scraping their sides? This can be a sighn of fish lice or body flukes or ick parasites. Its called flashing if that is what they are doing.
Ive never heard of a fish trying to harm itself on purpose, but there is kind of a "fright" that you will occasionally see in goldfish when they get freaked out, and sometimes other fish will see the one freaking out and it will freat out too. Best thing to do is not suddenly turn on lights, leave a nightlight on, not walk past or make rapid movements in front of them.

Back
Top Bottom