Ick help....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacyz

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I think I may have a small out break of ick if so I have caught it early... so the question is how to treat it since I also have Live plants?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi Stacy.
As you might already know, no chemical treatment affects the ich whist in the white spot stage of it's life cycle.
So initially I slowly raise the temp to about 82-84f. This speeds up the ich life cycle and the free swimming ich stage has much less time to find a host. 86f will render the ich unable to multiply but I have found 82-84f effective.
Drop your water level enough to cause your filter outlet to agitate the water surface as oxygen saturation is less at higher temperatures. Small water change regularly paying special attention to the gravel, the white spots drop off the fish and sink to the bottom where they multiply. Many will be syphoned out. Keep the temp high for 10 days after the last sighting of the white spots and slowly drop back down to your normal temp.
Your plants should be ok with this. A few will not like higher temps but should be ok for this relatively short time.
I don't use chemicals so can't comment on their effect on plants.
Best of luck. Steve.

Ok thanks.... I did raise temp when I first seen the sign of it.... I haven't delt with this issue for a while so wasn't sure of the best method....

Treating Ich

So I think I may have a small out break of ick if so I have caught it early... so the question is how to treat it since I also have Live plants?

Hello Stac...

Ich infections are due to poor water conditions. So, you have to clean up the water. Start an aggressive water change routine by changing half the tank water a couple of times a week and vacuum the bottom material.

B

Thanks.. my only concern is that my tank is only maybe a mth in a half old so the water is still pretty they new....

How often should I be changing the water I changed it wed... should I wait till Wednesday again?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom