Ick issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STM2121

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new tank, got a few black molley's and tetras. One of the black molley's came down with Ick. I treated it with "API Liquid Super Ick Cure". I did the proper dosage and did the water change. It had looked like most of white specs have gone away, there was probably 3 or 4 left on him. I figured it would go away. 3 days have gone by now and now the fish is full of white specs again. Is there a better medicine or a better method? Thanks

EDIT: I did check all the levels and the only thing that is high is the Nitrites.

STM2121 said:
I have a new tank, got a few black molley's and tetras. One of the black molley's came down with Ick. I treated it with "API Liquid Super Ick Cure". I did the proper dosage and did the water change. It had looked like most of white specs have gone away, there was probably 3 or 4 left on him. I figured it would go away. 3 days have gone by now and now the fish is full of white specs again. Is there a better medicine or a better method? Thanks

EDIT: I did check all the levels and the only thing that is high is the Nitrites.

I,ve just gone through an outbreak of ich & cleared it up with just heat, got it up too 88 just increase it slowly plenty of pwc with gravel cleans help & add an airstone to help with Oxygen. Keep the heat up a week after the last spot. Hope this helps.

So I got the tempertature to about 86 degrees. Aquarium salt was added on Wednesday when I increased the temperature. So now its Saturday, I still dont seem to see any difference with the black molley yet. Still full of white specs and has trouble swimming. He also stays at the bottom alot. Should I add more salt? How long does it normally take to see results? Thnx

It takes a while and it normally gets worse before it gets better so just hang in there

Another question, that link that was posted...

It says that if you do not see any improvements within 3-4 days to try another method. However not just here, but other places say it could take 1-2 weeks. Whats the truth?

STM2121 said:
Another question, that link that was posted...

It says that if you do not see any improvements within 3-4 days to try another method. However not just here, but other places say it could take 1-2 weeks. Whats the truth?

It takes around 2wks, at the fourth day mine looked worse! I eventually increased my temp up to 88 my fish & inverts managed ok. You will get there

BobandBecca said:
If one fish in the tank has Ich will all of the fish end up with it?

No, some just don't catch it. Not all my fish caught it only 3 :)

Yeah well just this afternoon i have found out that my tank in my basement 55g with 1BGK 2 Blood parrots and a gold gourami is ich-ed out. The gourami is totally covered. Both parrots, nothing on my BGK yet.

I am in the middle of raising the temp right now. I am worried about my BGK i dont want him to get it.

The other thing is i move my gourami from my community tank about 4 days ago. Does anyone think i might have a problem with that tank now too?

BobandBecca said:
Yeah well just this afternoon i have found out that my tank in my basement 55g with 1BGK 2 Blood parrots and a gold gourami is ich-ed out. The gourami is totally covered. Both parrots, nothing on my BGK yet.

I am in the middle of raising the temp right now. I am worried about my BGK i dont want him to get it.

The other thing is i move my gourami from my community tank about 4 days ago. Does anyone think i might have a problem with that tank now too?

Just keep a close eye on your other tank & if you see anything up the temp like your doing. Hopefully it will be fine. Only 3 of my guys caught it in my tank, I was worried about my elephant nose but he didn't catch it! So fingers crossed! & good luck :)

I am so angry right now. i did a pwc 33% yesterday and i didn't notice anything. those blood parrots were 26 bucks a piece!!! now i see that they have red gills also. my water is 7.2ph, 0ammonia, 0nitrite, 10-20 nitrate. i am new with the bp's they seem to be very stessed right now as well.

BobandBecca said:
I am so angry right now. i did a pwc 33% yesterday and i didn't notice anything. those blood parrots were 26 bucks a piece!!! now i see that they have red gills also. my water is 7.2ph, 0ammonia, 0nitrite, 10-20 nitrate. i am new with the bp's they seem to be very stessed right now as well.

My ich came in when I bought 2 rams & I was just like you angry never had problem,s before, I think I drove my husband mad with all the ranting! Just keep with the heat & plenty of pwc, it will get worse before it gets better. With the bp,s gills being red I'm not sure your paras seem fine maybe someone else will chime in to help.

You may be fighting an uphill battle unless you get these guys into a bigger tank. The black ghost alone would be too much for a 55.

I feel for you. Good luck with treating them.

I lost the black molley lastnight, next time I know how to handle this ick situation better. I only had him 2 weeks, wondering if he was sick when I got him.
Lost the black molley last night, next time I know how to handle this ick situation better. I only had the fish for about 2 weeks, Im wondering if it was sick when I got him.

Read more: Ick - Page 2

Lost the black molley last night, next time I know how to handle this ick situation better. I only had the fish for about 2 weeks, Im wondering if it was sick when I got him.

STM2121 said:
I lost the black molley lastnight, next time I know how to handle this ick situation better. I only had him 2 weeks, wondering if he was sick when I got him.

Sorry to hear that :(

Back
Top Bottom