Ick killed all my fish, treatment did nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nouse4aname07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all let me just say, Dont trust jungle products. I put in a tablet to get rid of the ick and it killed all my fish. i called them and they said its safe for all fish. 2ndly the ick killed 3 of my barbs, and both sharks :/

Heya,

Sorry about your fish loss. I do have a couple questions though...

If you use carbon in your filter(s), did you remove it before you had began treatment? What about rasing water temp to around 84F and doing 25% water changes every 24 hours after treatment and then redosing?

All these things are imperative when treating ich...

I know you must be unhappy and sad about your loss. However, I have used jungle to treat ick and septicima for years.

Septicima is a serious bacterial infection that can be potentially deadly. It can cause ick and dropsy and all kinds of bizzare infections in all fish. To aviod it, don't keep 'toilet' fish, like carp (koi, goldfish) with tropical fish. Perform regular water changes. Vacuum for dead food particles and remove dying plants. Also, don't attempt to adjust pH with chemicals.

When treating for ick, I have had success with some rather unorthodox methods. Give you fish baths in well-airiated, small holding tanks. Put in several times the recomended dosage of ick treatment and some salt and antibacterial treatment (like Doc Wellfish's rather oily MelaFix). Leave the fish in here for no more than an hour (preferably about twenty minutes). With very (VERY) clean hands (don't use any chemicals to clean them, though), hold a fish out of water and remove ick and parasites with tweezers and (as crazy as this sounds) short fingernails. Fish can live about two minutes out of water like this. Don't attempt this with small fish or fish with dropsy or fungus.

If you feel inexperienced or uncomfortable with baths or manually removing external parasites, use Ick Guard II (For little or scaless fish and all catfish). For tablets, try disolving them in a cup or two of water and adding that, like you would marine salt. Take out all amphibians (caecilians and xenopus frogs) and snails. Follow the directions to the T. Also, very importantly, add salt. Aquarium (not marine) salt is essential for keeping healthy fish. Use it all the time and illness will be a rare incidence.

Finally, if you faith in Jungle is terribly shaken and irreperable, try Wardley. I have trusted food products for years from Wardley, and recently tried Ick Away. Again, don't use it on baby fish, ones smaller that about two inches in length, or cats. Use half strength if you must.

Again, I am very sorry for you loss. I hope you will continue to keep fish. It is a very rewarding hobby.

sincerely,
lashilia

Reread Biggen's post, it is amazingly on target, everything stated is right on the money!

Back
Top Bottom