Ick medication for Ghostknife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snajera7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there any type of Ick medication that wont hurt Ghostknifes? Just a few days ago I realized my tank started to get infested with Ick. My poor Ghostknife is scratching himself cuz he keeps rubbing up against the driftwood an rocks. He looks really uncomfortable. So I want to medicate my tank so the Ick process can go faster and die. I tryed putting up the temp but it seem to make him worse and I can't put in salt because I read that Ghostknifes are really sensitive to salt due to them being a scaleless fish. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Scaleless fish are sensitive to salt and medication. The reason the ich got worse is because the parasites life cycle is temperature dependent (speeds up in higher temps). You need to increase the temperature up to 86-88F witch stops the ich reproducing and attaching to new fish. Keep it there for a minimum 2 weeks even if all the ich appears to be gone.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Mumma.of.two said:
Scaleless fish are sensitive to salt and medication. The reason the ich got worse is because the parasites life cycle is temperature dependent (speeds up in higher temps). You need to increase the temperature up to 86-88F witch stops the ich reproducing and attaching to new fish. Keep it there for a minimum 2 weeks even if all the ich appears to be gone.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Oh ok thank you I was sooo worried he might die. I will keep trying the temp for a while hopefully he regains some energy. Do you have any suggestions on how to get him to eat. I just put in some bloodworms (his favorite) but he doesn't seem interested in eating. Will his eating habits get back to normal soon or could he starve?

snajera7 said:
Oh ok thank you I was sooo worried he might die. I will keep trying the temp for a while hopefully he regains some energy. Do you have any suggestions on how to get him to eat. I just put in some bloodworms (his favorite) but he doesn't seem interested in eating. Will his eating habits get back to normal soon or could he starve?

When he's feeling better he should start eating again. He won't starve even if he goes a week without food.

Mumma.of.two said:
When he's feeling better he should start eating again. He won't starve even if he goes a week without food.

That's great! Iv been google-ing on how to take care of a sick Ghostknife and so far it just has made me depressed. I keep getting these people who say that Ghostknifes often starve especially when sick due to them having energy loss and all this other depressing crap. So it's nice to know that, that's not always the case. Thank you again :)

Back
Top Bottom