Ick medicine and oxi-clean...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunsplash76

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone~ Just wanted to share a few thoughts with all the beginners, as I'm sure the experienced folks will be laughing. I bought a fish with Ick un-beknownst to me at the time, and it gave the tank ICK. Well, I bought the medicine and dropped it in as they instructed; followed the package to the letter.

Then when the treatment was over I began cleaning out the bad water and stuff; WELL... It dyed everything green! The rubber that holds the sides of the tank together is dyed green, makes it look like algae, and it dyed the deco I had in their green. I washed it off with hot water, but to no avail. Should I take them out and soak in chlorine bleach? I'm so afraid I won't get it all off and it'll kill my fishes. Should I move the fish to somewhere and chlorine bleach the inside of the tank to get the green out also? Other than that the 10 gallon is fine. Healthy fish!

The other thing was that I bought a small container of Oxi-clean to get some stains out on a rug, and when I read the package it said it could be used for aquariums also. No instructions as to how to do it, but it was listed as a use for it. Anyone use oxi-clean for their fish tank? That's all I'm yapping about for now.... till next time..... ~Melissa~ ````

Yes you can bleach the decorations, use a 1:10 solution of bleach and water, allow to soak, until they are no longer green. It may work, it may not....Make certain that before you place them back in the aquarium, you soak them in bleach free water, and add about 3-5 times the recommended amount of dechlorinator (this is overkill, but where bleach is concerned, I'm a "better safe, than sorry" kinda person). You can bleach the aquarium in the same way, but your cycle will start over, the fish should be removed, (actually, you could remove the filter too, keep you from re-cycling), add bleach to make a 1:10 solution and allow to soak. Again, make certain you dechlorinate, before adding the fish back, you should not be able to smell the bleach when your done.

I would not use oxi-clean on my aquarium. We use it here, for our clothes and it is a soap, soap is toxic to fish, and I do not see how you could be sure there was no residue left when you were done. I think the bleach is a safer way to go, if you do it.

well, depends on how much it bugs you, but mine has turned blue a couple of times, but it fades back out eventually--still may have a slight tint, but it's not noticeable--i think i would just bleach the ornaments and such and wait and see if it starts to fade before i bleached it--and definately don't bleach the filter....either way , you should be fine, just would watch for ammonia and nitrite after setting it back up after bleaching--if you keep your filter going while you work, it should be ok, but i am pretty paranoid, so ymmv. best wishes for your fishes!

Back
Top Bottom