Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ick - not sure how to deal with it

Hello!

I recently purchased a dwarf gourami about three days ago and I didnít realize that he had ick until now. Iíve moved him into a 10 gal QT and now donít know how to treat it.

Iíve seen a lot about treating ick with just aquarium salt and 86 degree water. Is this the best option or should I buy a medication? Im worried that all my fish canít handle 86F as Iíve always kept it around 77-78. I panicked and put some API melafix in the QT tank but Iím pretty sure that doesnít really help with ick. The QT tank also doesnít have an adjustable heater so the water has to stay at 78F.

So my questions are...

What should I do, if anything, to the main (40g) tank that DOES have an adjustable heater?

What should I do to the QT tank that DOES NOT have an adjustable heater and has already been treated with aquarium salt and melafix?

The main tank has the following fish :

1x - Rainbow Shark
1x - Farlowella Catfish
2x - Sailfin Mollys
4x - Guppies
1x - Pictus Catfish
10x - Nerite Snails

Old 03-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use meds. A popular med in this forum is Rid Ick. I prefer Coppersafe. I would do a 50 % WC
w/ gravel vac in main tank to dilute any Ick population that might have taken root. Raising the temp. Doesn't kill Ick, just speeds up its life cycle.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Ichthyophile

Ditto to v227ís recommendation
Old 03-22-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pretty sure both those meds will kill opís nerites. Not sure, but be sure you look it up since you have inverts in the tank.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have to re home the neriites, dose for 3-5 extra days after you see no more spots, do 30-50% water change and run activated carbon for 24 -48 hours and discard, reintroduce the neriites.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com