Ick - not sure how to deal with it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tylermc47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I recently purchased a dwarf gourami about three days ago and I didn’t realize that he had ick until now. I’ve moved him into a 10 gal QT and now don’t know how to treat it.

I’ve seen a lot about treating ick with just aquarium salt and 86 degree water. Is this the best option or should I buy a medication? Im worried that all my fish can’t handle 86F as I’ve always kept it around 77-78. I panicked and put some API melafix in the QT tank but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t really help with ick. The QT tank also doesn’t have an adjustable heater so the water has to stay at 78F.

So my questions are...

What should I do, if anything, to the main (40g) tank that DOES have an adjustable heater?

What should I do to the QT tank that DOES NOT have an adjustable heater and has already been treated with aquarium salt and melafix?

The main tank has the following fish :fish1: :

1x - Rainbow Shark
1x - Farlowella Catfish
2x - Sailfin Mollys
4x - Guppies
1x - Pictus Catfish
10x - Nerite Snails

:thanks:

Use meds. A popular med in this forum is Rid Ick. I prefer Coppersafe. I would do a 50 % WC
w/ gravel vac in main tank to dilute any Ick population that might have taken root. Raising the temp. Doesn't kill Ick, just speeds up its life cycle.

Pretty sure both those meds will kill op’s nerites. Not sure, but be sure you look it up since you have inverts in the tank.

Have to re home the neriites, dose for 3-5 extra days after you see no more spots, do 30-50% water change and run activated carbon for 24 -48 hours and discard, reintroduce the neriites.

Back
Top Bottom