Ick outbreak!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
2 days ago I thought I spotted some ick on one of my 3 Serpae tetras so i ran to the LFS to get ick medication but when I got home it seemed to have dissapeard so I decided to waiy on treatment. Today it has appeared back on my serpae and on my mexican sailfin molly's eye and fin. Hes swimming awkwardly and trying to rub his fin on the sides ofthe tank and the gravel. I read the above post about ick and I am at a loss. I have 2 1" inch angel fry in my tank along with a pregnant guppy who has just squared of this morning. I read the back of the 'Ick Away' bottle and it contains Malachite Green which is apparently dangerous to fry and any scaleless fish such as my sucking loach who is also in the infested tank. Should I move the loach, guppy, and angel fy to my quarintine tank and treat the community tank or treat everyone and hope for the best?

You can turn the temp up to 86*F and leave it for 10 days. Make sure you turn it up slowly, like 1 degree every 6-8 hours. The ich will look worse before it looks better.

I got a junky heater for christmas that stays at 76*F that came with my aquarium and figured I'd just leave it at that temp so I never got one that I can turn up or down. Ill have to try and run to the LFS if they are open and buy one. Thanks for your help :)

You could also try Kordon's Ich-Attack, it's all natural, and shouldn't be a problem for the babies. But I would check Kordon's website before adding it, just to make sure. :)

I researched a little about it and now im trying to find a place where I can order it. Thanks so much for the info, I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Oh okay! That's the closest 'LFS' to me so ill check mine and see if they carry it!

Oh my gosh I just saw that you have 2 Endlers! Are they straight up endlers or hybrids! I aboslutley love Endlers!

Wow, Beautiful fish. I saw a lovely guppy endler hybrid the other day and I fell in love with him but he wasn't at the best pet shop ever so I decided not to get him. But I'm going to go back and pick him up and quarantine him for a week or so. Well I am going to go to get the Kordon's at 2 today. Hopefully it works good! Thanks so much for the info! I had my last Cardinal Tetra die yesterday and his gills were inflamed and nearly closed. I read that Ich can get into the gills and cause suffocation so I believe that's what happened to my poor Cardinal.

P.S. I am SO jealous of your GuppyxEndlers ;)

Yes, the ich usually attacks the gills first, you just can't see it. Sorry about losing your fish. :(

You can be jealous of my guppies (they were free too) and I will be jealous that you have horses!!! I have wanted a horse for about, ohhhh, 28 years. I WILL have one someday! I was supposed to get 2 free Kiger Mustangs before I moved, but I looked into boarding overe here since this property is nowhere near being safe for horses, and it's $750/mo. So I had to let them go to someone else. :(

Oh Kigers are beautiful. Where they broke to ride? Well I actually havve 2 horses now, the other day I let my dear Scotch go, I wasn't lucky enough to own him only lease him but his owner sold him . He bucked me off a few months ago for no reason and ever since he's had bucking problems so his owner decided to sell him because when he went crazy there was no telling what he'd do and he'd already broke my arm. He was a giant at 16.9hh but because I'm so tall he was perfect for me. He was amazing before he started acting up. Then there's my Fawn. I got her for free. Free horses aren't all there cracked up to be. I was told she was just a pasture mare who used to be ridden but that she now was in foal so it was a two for one deal. Her old owner said that she could stay at her barn as long as I trained her enough for her 6 year old daughter to ride her eveyr now and then. So it was a deal but I had no idea what I was getting into. I got a completley green mare who hadn't been ridden in 5 years. Now you really don't find very many 9 year old green horses who have only been ridden twice. I spent almost every night at the barn until 10 trying to train her.She was a complete brat when I got her. Any wrong move and she'd flip out. But over that time we formed a bond. She's amazing now...for me that is. She doesn't like it when other people make her do stuff she doesn't feel like doing.and my second horse is Fawns 3 year old gelding Jackson. Fawns the mare in my profile picture. I'm on my cell phone right now but when I get on my computer ill post a few pics of the horses :)

The Kigers were green broke, but the guy who had them volunteered to break them for me. He has been working with Kigers for years, and training them and not one has ever bucked with him on. He was working on halter breaking them when I moved. He said they just don't buck and they are very mellow horses in general.
Here are the horses:
Pictures by kigercrazy - Photobucket
Coco and Kahula were the two I was going to get. I LOVE Savannah, but he wasn't going to get rid of her.

That's awesome that you took so much time to care for the horses! If you didn't have them, who knows what would have happened!?!?

A friend of mine had a Kiger and we would swap horses at he ens of our lessons. He would jump anythig you pointed him at and he had amazing stamina. He was a great cross country horse and he was so relaxed in the show ring. Im guessing the horses would have been broke western? I started when I started when I was 6 riding western then I went to a big english show where they jump 7ft jumps and I decided i wanted to ride english and I have every since.

Savannah is gorgeous!! I am a sucker for Blue Roans, Duns, and Buckskins! Kuhlan and Cocoa are nice looking Kigers. How old are they?

The guy said they loved trail rides and had alot of stamina! They probably would have been broke Western, just to where you can trail ride them.
I also love buckskins, they are my all time favorite. My husband is playing a video game, and I make him buy the buckskin horse LOL!!! I think they were ages 7-12.

Back
Top Bottom