ICK!!! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoraRocks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 15 gallon freshwater tank, ive had it set up for close to 7 months.. I had Platys and tetras in it and they got ick.. I treated them but they got fungus and died bc I didn't know it followed ick.. I boiled rocks and décor etc let them dry for 5 days and cycled the aquarium again.. I got platys again and about a month later they all got ick again and didn't make it through the medicine :( sooo I turned the heater up to 85 and let it sit empty without fish for 2 weeks.. after a month I got goldfish and by golly didn't they get ick and die.. I tried salt and got more goldfish needless to say they are in my hospital tank with ick and I need help to figure out this ick problem!
If I throw out all my gravel and décor & clean tank will the ick go away?? :(:confused:
my son sooo loves his little fish but I cant keep buying fish just to make them sick again..

Any help is appreciated!!

I have a 15 gallon freshwater tank, ive had it set up for close to 7 months.. I had Platys and tetras in it and they got ick.. I treated them but they got fungus and died bc I didn't know it followed ick.. I boiled rocks and décor etc let them dry for 5 days and cycled the aquarium again.. I got platys again and about a month later they all got ick again and didn't make it through the medicine :( sooo I turned the heater up to 85 and let it sit empty without fish for 2 weeks.. after a month I got goldfish and by golly didn't they get ick and die.. I tried salt and got more goldfish needless to say they are in my hospital tank with ick and I need help to figure out this ick problem!
If I throw out all my gravel and décor & clean tank will the ick go away?? :(:confused:
my son sooo loves his little fish but I cant keep buying fish just to make them sick again..

Any help is appreciated!!

The temp raising was smart, you can use meds or kosher salt

I have tried that and the worst luck has came with the medicine, they do better when I treat them with Aquarium salt.. I have cleaned the tank and replaced the gravel with new. Hoping this does the trick. :thanks:

Ich typically won't live without a host; fish, so when your tank was empty for 2 wks that should've gotten rid of the Ich. Did you do a good vacuum & water change before adding new fish? The only time I've treated Ich I turned the heat up to 86F, added 1 tsp of Aq salt per gallon, changed the water with a good vacuuming every couple of days, left the heat up for a week after I saw the last spot . . . I've never seen Ich since & that was 3 months ago. Are you getting your fish from the same place each time? If so its possible they're coming to you with Ich.

Yes, I have done all of the above.. As common sense as it seems, that's something ive never thought of.. It very well could be the pet store.. it never occurred to me because my Oscars came from the same place as healthy as could be.. They are back in their tank from the hospital tank, new gravel and décor so well see if its gone.. Thank you for input :) very good point..

Back
Top Bottom