Ick Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Have you experienced Ick?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
SO i read somewhere that you should have ICK treament as a part of your "must have" supplies.

In this article it said that it isn't "if" you get ick. It's about "when" you "will" get ICK.

When I read the article I was thinking.. Hmmm sounds kinda extreme. Lots of ick talk on here so I thought I would start a poll and see...

Have you had ICK? Yes or No?

Oh yeah.. I haven't had ICK.. but I am relatively new to the hobby... I've had some algae issues on occasion like green water (likely tank position and overfeeding) and one fish that is still alive that had a bit of fin rot (treated with extra gravel vacs no meds)...

cool so far all no 'ick's' on the poll.. will have to hunt down the article and bug the guy that wrote it.. haha

Being that most Ich meds are less than $3, I think it is a good idea to keep on hand just in case. I also have a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand if I ever need that. The first time I saw Ich on a fish, I used half a dose, and the Ich went away in less than 12 hours. I currently have another problem with Ich after getting some Rams from PetCo, and I used the Ich meds (1/2 dose) until the temp was raised, then used carbon to get the meds out of the water and let the high temps take over.

After a 3 week bout with ick, I'm with grimlock3000. I keep a few supplies on hand just in case. Thank goodness I now have a Q-tank so its much easier to treat fish in a 10 gallon rather than treating illnesses in my show tanks.

That was the true point behind the article. "To be prepared" Instead of getting ick and then having to go to the LFS and get med and stuff.... But it did leave me with the question... "everyone get's ick?"

I have not had any ich yet, but I only have had bettas, not a community tank. I got some Rid-Ich+ just in case, though. That was before Allivymar wrote her article about the heat treatment. If my fish ever got ich, I would do what grimlock did -- use a half dose of the Rid-Ich until the heat was raised sufficiently.

Back
Top Bottom