ICK!!!!!!!! Problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok have had an Ick problem for about 3 days now....for a change I bought that Jungle Ice Clear Fizzies and have used it 2 times and did what they said to do when you do the 2nd dose remove 25% of the water before retreating.....I did that and they still have ick.....I only have 2 fizzies left. Should I try leaving the water the way it is and add the fizzy or should I do the 25% change and add them or just go back to what I usually use for it that is Nox-Ick??? The ones that started out with ick are ok and now the others have it and they got it at the same time???? I need some opinions!!! Help....desperate fish lady of wv! :lol:

Did you read that ich article I wrote ADCISO? If so, don't forget ich has a 3 stage life cycle, and only one stage is susceptible to meds. At a temp of 80F the entire cycle is a week, so 3 days is no where near enough for any meds to have a full effect. If you haven't read it, its in the article section :)

If you change meds, you need to remove the first meds; don't mix. If continue with the current med, continue following the instructions.

It also says that I shouldnt have to turn up the temp of the water. I usually keep mine on about 78-80 should I turn it up a little anyway?I only have 2 of the pills left...should have 3 for complete treatment but do you think if I just took out about 15% that would be ok to go ahead and put the meds in?

Turning up the temps will cause the parasites to multiply more rapidly, up until around 86F, where it kills them instead. Higher temps (under 86F) have their good points and bad. By having the parasites multiply more rapidly more of them are exposed to the meds, but then again, theres more around to infest the fish.

Hrmm. So the Jungle stuff only gives you 5 tablets? Cheap bastards. Its likely you'll need more; ich should be treated until 3 days AFTER you see the last white spot on the fish. Otherwise you chance a new infestation. My guess, because they recommend a 25% water change, the meds are likely no longer active after a 24 hr period. I'd do the 25% water change; the more water you take out, the more free floating parasites you've removed. Make sure you gravel vac as well to remove the encysted ones down there as well.

I'm guessing you didn't read the article; I strongly recommend it. A lot of this will make more sense once you have that under your belt: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32

No actually there were 8 but I have to use 3 everytime.....1 per 10 gallon.....I wonder if I could just get away with using the 2 instead of the 3....I hate to go to walmart this late!

Ahh gotcha.

You really don't want to undermedicate (I hate sending you out late tho; can you go first thing in the morn? Like REALLY early?). Just like with not using a whole prescription from the doctors, you chance winding up with medication resistant disease. While that may not happen with one treatment, I wouldn't take a chance.

I went to walmart!lol Spent $30 on new filters for both tanks because I know that I am going to need them after all of this is over! Now the queston is...I know I shouldnt put the filter with carbon back in but is it ok to take the carbon out and put the rest back in? Pinkys tank looks yucky.....and what about the Ick treated tank...can I do it there too? All....your a true friend! :D

Heh thanx :)

And you can absolutely pull the carbon out but leave the rest of the filter media. The filter media won't affect the med levels like the carbon does. If you have the type of filter media I'm thinking of, just cut a slit along the side and dump the carbon out. You really need to have the filters up n running on all tanks, especially hospital tanks as you want a minimum of detritus floating around the tank.

Well I did the fizzy thing last night with the ick....I see just a couple of spots on 2 tiger barbs now.....should I just set it out a few days and see what happens or should I just do about a 50% water change and do my old ick treatment instead? 10 gallon with Pinky looks icky...mostly the glass. I know I should leave the water alone until the treatment is done and wait and see what happens. So far....last night when I checked the parimeters in both tanks they were fine....keep your fingers crossed. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom