Icky Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good day. I've been using Quick Cure for 4 days now at half dosing in my tank. Found out my glass fish had ick for 2 days before I started treatment, so I'm treating the entire tank. At any rate, there is some resolution of the ick, but not complete. I was wondering if it is okay to go over the 5 day treatment stated on the label. I've never used this before, so any info would be welcome.

Have you seen the ich article on this site: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32
Many people here have had success with the heat, or heat and salt, treatment.

If you continue with the meds, dose until 3-5 days after you see the last white spot. Each time you dose the medicine, you only kill the ich that are in the theront, or free-swimming, stage. The ich that is in the other stages of its cycle are not susceptable to meds. By continuing the medicine, you make sure to get all the parasites as they break out of the cysts and enter the free-swimming stage.

I would switch to the heat and salt treatment. Keep it going for another two weeks after the ich is gone.

Salt and heat

I'm just worried about what adding salt and increasing the temp will do to the gourami and 2 plecos I have on board with the 2 infected glass fish. Will they be okay with the change? I heard that salt is not too good for plecos.

Should be as long as the change is gradual. Gourami are pretty strong fish, and obviously the bigger, the stronger. My tank temperature is in the low 80s. In my experience, a higher temp is just fine, as long as there's ample oxygen. Warmer temperatures will increase the metabolism of cold-blooded animals which will shorten their lifespan, whereas cooler temps will increase it. This is unlike warm-blooded animals, which raise their core temp when it gets colder. Okay maybe I'm rambling now.

Thanks

I'm still a bit unsure about the salt, but I'll crank up the temp in the tank to 86 with meds and see if that helps. Thanks a bunch. Will tell you how things go.

According to the ich article, plecos do fine with salt. Just be sure to increase the level gradually. The heat should be above 86 degrees -- to 87 or 88 degrees.

I would pick the salt and heat treatment if I had to treat ich. Most fish will be fine with this. But I have read about using heat and a half dose of meds. A full dose of meds in combination with the heat treatment may be stressful.

Better fish

Good new and not so good news.

Good news is that one of the glass fish seem to be all good. No sign of ick on him with the heat and half-dose meds (quick cure). I ommited the salt for fear of making the plecos sick.

Bad news is, the other glass fish, though very VERY active (he chases the chubby glass fish everywhere like a red-headed step-child), still has a good bit of ick on him. It's better than it was before I started the heat treatment (88F), but not sure why it's taking him longer to get well than the other one.

On a side note, one of the plecos is sitting out in the tank just laying there. He doesn't even try to hide in the tree like he used to. The other pleco seems fine. There's plenty of water agitation (in fact there are bubbles all over the place), so I'm somewhat concerned about this new behavior. Goro (my red dwarf gourami) is also doing quite well. Could it be the elevated temp making him sluggish? He's a rubber lipped pleco. Any thoughts would be great.

Last time I had ich it took 10 days for the last white spot to disappear with the temp at 84F & while using Aquara-Sol . Just keep the temp at 84-86 & continue using Quick Cure for 2 weeks after the last white spot disappears . I'd also be doing a 25% water change every 5 days during treatment to prevent overdosing . Just be sure to use gloves because Quick Cure contains formalin , which is carcinogenic . It should contain some kind of warning on the bottle or the package it came in .

Oh no!

I've been dipping my hands in the tank and stuff for the past week with Quick cure in it! I'm going to die of cancer!!??

Back
Top Bottom