Idk on oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christianc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some advice on treating ick on a juvenile Oscar. I have a juvenile albino Oscar and a red tail catfish in the same tank and I know most ick treatments can't be used on scale less fish. What would be the best treatment for the tank? I was going to use jungle ick clear 2 but I would like some opinions on what to use first

If possible I'd separate them and treat. Also what do you mean by red tail catfish? Like a red fin shark that hits 6 inches? Or a red tail catfish that reaches over 100 pounds?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I searched and found the posts, "plans for offloading it", not quite... not even close. We're talking monster hundred pound fish, not at all meant for the hobby, a "verbal agreement" to take the fish means nothing, I doubt any party involved knows what it takes to house this fish longterm, which is now necessary as this wild animal is now domesticated. Sad truth of why these aren't Aquarium fish whatsoever.

I searched and found the posts, "plans for offloading it", not quite... not even close. We're talking monster hundred pound fish, not at all meant for the hobby, a "verbal agreement" to take the fish means nothing, I doubt any party involved knows what it takes to house this fish longterm, which is now necessary as this wild animal is now domesticated. Sad truth of why these aren't Aquarium fish whatsoever.

He will be given to the Camden adventure aquarium when he is able to fend for himself. They will house him in a exhibit that holds thousands of gallons of water. I did my research before taking the rtc on. Also spoke with a friend that is a employee there and found him a future home prior to getting him. They are more than capable of housing a full grown rtc and more. I wasn't going to let the little guy just die, so I took him in and found him a future home

Well sounds like you have done research. Sorry for the tirade, this is simply a fish that doesn't belong in captivity, particularly the aquarium trade. Good luck with everything, I don't know the temps a rtc can survive but high temps can be used to treat ich.

Totally agree - good to see the OP has done their homework but also good to see the question getting asked re: keeping these sorts of fish long-term and issues. (climb off soapbox as been looking at small tanks in lfs and annoying to see goldfish comets shown on tank box wrapping).

I agree in that op has made long term plans.. but why get them in the first place? A Google search will have you know the full potential.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree in that op has made long term plans.. but why get them in the first place? A Google search will have you know the full potential.

I wouldn't of bought the rtc by choice, but I couldn't watch him die in a 10g tank

Fish die every second, you made a decision.

Back
Top Bottom