Idk whats wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flossie said:
Um I might have told you wrong lol it maybe aqua tech.. it's walmart brand...but I do remember the filter having the carbon in it... and that's what I thought it was possibly talking about... so I have to take that out???

I was rereading the instruction on my bottle if melafix and it say remove carbon if possible. I've read else where that it's best to remove, but you should be ok. You just cycled, so it's best not to mess with that ;).

I was rereading the instruction on my bottle if melafix and it say remove carbon if possible. I've read else where that it's best to remove, but you should be ok. You just cycled, so it's best not to mess with that ;).
I may can just take the carbon out and leave it out... I read it stops working after a few days anyway and I've not replaced anything in my filter. I was thinking since it said "if possible" that it may still work but if you guys think I should remove the carbon... I could probably do that but Id rather not try and get it back in there..

Flossie said:
I may can just take the carbon out and leave it out... I read it stops working after a few days anyway and I've not replaced anything in my filter. I was thinking since it said "if possible" that it may still work but if you guys think I should remove the carbon... I could probably do that but Id rather not try and get it back in there..

Yep, it only works for a certain amount of time and then it starts leeching junk back into the water. If you take it out the fiber in your cartridge should last for a while. Just rinse in tank water pulled from a PWC. Never rinse in tap water, it kills bacteria.

I have the aquatech filter. I just cut the material and shook and rinsed like crazy. It got all the carbon out.

Mr. Limpet said:
Yep, it only works for a certain amount of time and then it starts leeching junk back into the water. If you take it out the fiber in your cartridge should last for a while. Just rinse in tank water pulled from a PWC. Never rinse in tap water, it kills bacteria.

And this is why I need to switch to sponge. Lol.

Okay so i cleaned out all the carbon from the filter cartridge and rinsed it in a bowl of aquarium water... one of the grosses things I have ever done... LOL Treated it with meds... so we are on the road to safety :) thank you guys for all of your help :)

I'm glad I took them back because the cashier told me that ppl have been returning the guppies all day... Sorry but I don't want to pay for fish that may die anyway... he was pretty bad... And I dont want my pleco to die. I'm just learning and I freaked out when I saw that he was sick. My tank just finished cycling and now this... I'm pretty frustrated. Two of the ladies from two different petsmarts were not very nice. The one I returned them to barely even spoke to me. I said do you know anything about this? Is there something I can treat it with? She said yep we have medicine "over there" wow... that was insightful... I'm glad I have you guys. I bought some Melafix that cost me almost as much as the fish...sheesh... It says one teaspoon a day for seven days then a 25% PWC... I am probably due a PWC before that... Idk if that will hurt anything ??? It also says remove activated carbon if possible... I guess i'm still a clueless newbie cause i'm not exactly sure what that means... I sort of have an idea... Any extra advice on treatment?? Thank you all so much for your advice it is ALL greatly appreciated... even the guilt trip comments ~wink~

I was playing around flossie, hopefully it came through that way :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom