Illnesses Abound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBradar3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a handful of new fish into my 20gallon tank. I only had an oto and brought in a cory and three mollies (1 male, 2 females).
My oto immediately got sick with ich and perished before the first day of treatment finished. Turned out one of the white female mollies had it, so I treated the entire tank and the ich went away.
Just a few days later I noticed the same white molly get white patches on the edge of her fin causing it to erode. I began fungus treatment.

Second day of fungus treatment, the new cory started floating. I'm not super familiar with the typical coloration of the underbellies of cories. There's a single red line along each base of her fins, has purple coloring on the bottom of her neck(?) between the gills. She is not pale, her black spots are as dark as when I got her.
She definitely has control of her faculties; she will control where on the surface she's floating, but currently that's all she can do.
I have separated her into the hospital tank in case the medicine had something to do with this.

Both tanks have the same parameters. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20-40, temp 76/78, pH has always been high at 8.4 (I think I've finally figured out it's the heater; trying to replace it. If it's not the heater, I'll have to get wood).

The initial tank is 20 gallons and fully cycled. The hospital tank is 5.5 gallons, fully cycled.

Both have carbon filtration Quietflow 10 (works up to 20gallons), however the 20 just recently had the carbon removed for medication.

Main tank currently had the cory catfish (female), two white mollies (female), and one black molly (male). All are about an inch long.

The reason I had to get these fish, my other fish died of shock from a massive water change trying to figure out the pH issue :facepalm:, so water change was very recent. The sand is not vacuumed. Nothing new added to the tank other than the fish.

Fish get fed algae flakes four days a week, frozen peas two days a week, and fasted one day a week. The algae flakes are in fact what they are fed at the pet store I got them at so it's not new to them.

What I'm having trouble figuring out is if the cory is diseased or infected. :huh:

Sick Cory

Second day into my cory floating...
Discovered her on the filter intake. I assumed she had perished overnight, being the typical place for that, but when I looked closer she was twitching her fins, so I gave her a slight nudge and she swam off of it. She's no longer floating and instead laying on the sand. She's still struggling to stay down and REFUSES to eat.

Please help before I lose her. :(

Hi, I don't know if I can be much help, but could your cory be suffering from swim bladder? Some symptoms, fish can sink, floats to the top, swims tail higher than head and swollen belly? They can also float upside down as they can't straighten up right.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

Swim Bladder

Hi Shellyx :oops:

Her tail is no higher, but when she was floating upside down on the surface yesterday I did notice a slight bulge in the middle of her belly, and with all of the research I've been doing, that's what it appears to be... I can't find any medication for it though, unless the medication calls it something else :confused:.

Last edited:
Okay heres the deal, its bacteria not fungus. The fungus simply "cleans up" and eats dead tissue that was killed by the bacteria. Its called columnaris, and you need a gram negative antibiotic, one of the following will work.
Maracyn 2
Kanamycin
Terramycin
Tri-Sulfa

Which Fish?

It sounds like you're speaking of the white molly. I researched that it was indeed columnaris, however it was stated that columnaris was a fungus so she's being treated with a fungus medication, which is in fact working because it's going away. She's not the one I need help on :nono:.

Do you know what medication would help with a swim bladder infection for my cory? She's the one in greater need of help :ermm:.

For swim bladder I can't find a cure ? but given the pea like you have tried and also fasting for 3-4 day's can help. But I'm not finding anything else. Maybe someone else will chime in for you.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

okay but columnaris is not treated with furan2 alone.
it sounds like bacterial hemmoragic septima....
okay so what i explained about 'fungus' setting in is true, it does not simply attack healthy tissue, has to be a wound or break in the slime coat, leading me to believe a proper antibiotic might help if you even have enough fish left for that to be economical

Bacterial Hemhorragic Septicemia?!

All of the mollies are okay in the big tank. The one that had fungus is cured; may have just had tail nipping.
The cory is dying in the hospital tank. I'm still trying to save her. Last night she developed immediate heavy damaging of the fins and with close inspection and really good eyes I was able to see a lot of translucent growth on her. Last night I started medicating with API Fungus Cure and Tetra Lifeguard. It may be wrong, but I didn't know what else to do :sorry: !
Should I stop any or all of these? You stated earlier that Maracyn 2 is an antibiotic, which I have; should I start that?
The cory is on her side breathing deep and long.

Nah, not for one fish. Plus the calcium in the vater makes it less effective. I oul save the maracyn2 an mix it in the foo for next time.

Back
Top Bottom