I'm losing fish....what am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been keeping fish for about eight years now. I have never lost a fish, except a discus once (intestinal blockage). Now my cardinal tetras are dieing like its in style.

First of all, I will admit that I made that mistake of purchasing too many fish all at once but my planted tank was well established. Yesterday, I purchased 6 zebra danios, 6 glow-light tetras, and 10 cardinal tetras. Throughout the day, I have been testing the water parameter and they all seem normal in my 75 gallon tank.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- 10 (for the plants)
Nitrite- 0
pH- 7.2

I know that the pH is a little high considering they like the acidic water and I have hard water. But I have another tank with cardinal tetras and they have been doing great over the past year. All the other fish are doing great, even the glow-light tetras. Any thoughts as to what I have done wrong? Seven cardinal tetras have died so far!!!

Your parameters seem good. Your ph is fine as long as it is stable. I'd have to agree with Rich, it sounds like a bad batch from the lfs.

I certainly hope that it could be a 'bad batch' rather than something else wrong. I have been taking out the dead fish immediately after they die. I think that I'll take the remaining cardinal tetras and put them in my quarantine tank just in case they have a disease.

Back
Top Bottom