Imminent Nitrite Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my 55 gallon set up on the December 26, using tap water and decolorinator. Since then, ive added 6 cories, 1 angel, 6 rainbowfish, 8 neons and 6 buenos airies tetras. I learned after about all the chemicals, its been 5 days and all my fish are fine and active. Could there be a problem in the future? If so what could I do to stop it?

Yes you could run into problems in a week or two...have you read about cycling a tank? There are plenty of threads that explain it...

What kind of filter are you running and is the media (where the bacteria grows) new?

Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? You should be testing your water daily and doing water changes as needed to keep toxins under control because you are just starting a fish-in cycle. Prime or Amquel Plus will be of a big help as well. Please read the link below & ask any questions you may have!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Read the link jlk gave you. With that many fish in an uncycled tank though you'll be doing a lot of water changes. I'd try to return some fish until the tank cycles, if you can.

Get an API test kit and use prime also do daily water changes as needed also do you have someone that could give you some substrate to help cycle your tank faster.

Good Luck

I have a marineland c 360 made for 100 gallons, everythinng is new. And yes I have a test kit, so far its been ok.

You should be using a liquid test kit. The strips are highly inaccurate. Every time ammonia or nitrite reach .25ppm, change out 25-50% of the water. Always add dechlorinator for the entire volume of the tank. Since you have a lot of stock, it may be every day. If you can get some used filter media from someone else's established tank, it will help a lot. Later in the cycle, do a water change when nitrates reach 20ppm. Then, afterthe cycle is complete, a weekly water change will maintain the tank. Good luck!

One last question say I do a 30% water change every other day. How long shoild I do this for? 3 weeks?

Until your ammonia and nitrite stay at 0ppm consistently. Thereafter, you can switch to weekly water changes to keep nitrates under 20ppm.

Good news! Keeping up with the water changes and managed to get rid of my 8 neons. Still no deaths or chemical spikes!

Back
Top Bottom