Impending Apocalypse or Over Reaction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Came home to a dead clown loach the other day, which was depressing enough as it is, however the loach appeared to be covered in a white film...now to be honest I assumed this was just the remains of a piece of zucchini from the night before that got wrapped around the body.

However the next morning I noticed another loach breathing heavily and with some sort of white mustache. When I disturbed the poor bloke it seemed the white growth fell off but he is still breathing heavily and lying around.

I've since done a 60% water change and the pre/post readings were fine (0,0,10, 7.3).

I had intentions of moving my clowns into their new home today but I'm now concerned I could have a serious problem in one tank I'd like not to spread to any others.

If anyone has an suggestions on what I might be dealing with Id be obliged!

Cheers :)

Cynic said:
Hi all,

Came home to a dead clown loach the other day, which was depressing enough as it is, however the loach appeared to be covered in a white film...now to be honest I assumed this was just the remains of a piece of zucchini from the night before that got wrapped around the body.

However the next morning I noticed another loach breathing heavily and with some sort of white mustache. When I disturbed the poor bloke it seemed the white growth fell off but he is still breathing heavily and lying around.

I've since done a 60% water change and the pre/post readings were fine (0,0,10, 7.3).

I had intentions of moving my clowns into their new home today but I'm now concerned I could have a serious problem in one tank I'd like not to spread to any others.

If anyone has an suggestions on what I might be dealing with Id be obliged!

Cheers :)

That's interesting. Clowns are a little different as they are classified as a scaleless fish. Did something get into the water? Any new meds or conditioners?

Not that I'm aware of...no new medications or fish for quite some time.

I'm pleased to see the other clown appears to have recovered so I'm hoping I'm jumping at shadows...

Hopefully, it was just a fluke thing. Fish do & will die without any just reason. I would wait a bit though before moving anyone different tanks to make sure there is nothing amiss. Just keep a close eye on everyone & let us know if theres any more issues. :)

jlk said:
Hopefully, it was just a fluke thing. Fish do & will die without any just reason. I would wait a bit thoughmy before moving anyone different tanks to make sure there is nothing amiss. Just keep a close eye on everyone & let us know if theres any more issues. :)

My thoughts exactly. Never heard or read about anything like this so i agree it sounds like a fluke.

Back
Top Bottom