In a quandry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. Empty tanks yes but not cycled. I did noticed a white "dusting" of mold or something on my wood. Anyone ever get that. Don't know if it's related but the wood was added a couple weeks ago. It was previously in a cycled tank (small tank).

Would it work to take the wood out and set it up in an empty tank, just to see if the main tank settles down? Could also watch the chemistry of the water in the wood tank - see if that's acting weird.

Just googled it and found the white stuff is supposed to be a harmless fungus. The big question is what could be causing the ammonia spikes?

I appreciate your help! Thanks. Can't think of any changes to the filter. I just have to assume I forgot to add Prime or overfed or something and keep up with multiple water tests, water changes, and frequent head counts.

I've nearly skipped adding prime twice in the past two weeks - I don't know how catastrophic it would be - any cushion at all for getting the tank dosed? - but rather not experiment.

The deaths continue... Checked parameters this AM first thing: 0,0, didn't test Nitrates. Since I just changed the water last night I didn't think it could be high. Just found a fresh death, a Cory. That leaves 3 albino Cories,1 adult Gourami, 5 neon tetras, 3 black neon tetras, 1 female swordtail.

I am assuming these deaths are a result of the ammonia getting high the other day (about 16 hours after normal readings and a 75% PWC!) Just checked the parameters again. .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates. That is so quick and I didn't feed them yesterday either.

Last idea- could the air freshener spray that goes off automatically, kind of randomly, in the living room where the fish tanks are have killed off the BBs? I'm removing I either way.

ETA: one of the four neons isn't hanging with the rest. I think he's next. :(

One more

Lost another neon. Tank parameters steady at 0,0,5. Brings my 55 gallon to 1 DG, 3 black neon tetras, 3 neon tetras, 3 Cories. All of these, except the DG need a bigger school.

Should I start adding back fish when the tank shows steady parameters (which it has over the last few days - maybe I didn't lose my BBs) for two weeks in addition no deaths? Would all the fish injured by the ammonia spikes have passed by then?

What type of fish is most important to re-populate first?:blink:

That air freshener may not be killing BB, but it may well be killing fish !

I'd never, ever use any aerosol product anywhere near a tank.. you have no idea how many chemicals are in those products and the fragrances are virtually all petrochemical based.. very bad for all water dwellers.

I've heard of mulitple deaths just because a kid's mom used his tank sponge to clean with, and the cleaner got into the tank. If that gadget has been spritzing the air randomly all this time, I'd get rid of it quick.

I wish they would ban air fresheners. I think they are a toxic nightmare. Those Febreze car air freshener things scare me blue.. such a closed up area being bombarded with chemicals all the time, just asking for problems. I use essential oils sometimes, but not near my tanks and I do not heat them.

Thanks Fishfer! I didn't realize how toxic the air fresheners were. I air the house out a lot with fresh air but obviously can't do that with the tanks.

I am so glad I read this thread because I've been trying to figure out what caused a big ammonia spike in one of my tanks, now I think it was because I sprayed Lysol in that room. I didn't even think of that at the time, but of course Lysol kills bacteria so that makes sense.

I wouldn't use any antibacterial cleaners anywhere near a tank and any type of aerosol is potentially troublesome for a tank.

I live in an old apartment building that has a roach problem. Landlord is erratic about control.. but early this year went nuts on them. FIVE treatments inside two months. Two were sprays, and I was absolutely frantic, fearing I'd lose the shrimp and snails and likely the fish too. First time there had a been a spray since I got the tanks set up.

Sealed the tanks with multiple layers of heavy plastic, using multiple layers of tape around the entire tank, then draped in black plastic to block the sun coming in from the windows. Huge job; I was so worried they would suffocate in there under the plastic, as I could not supply fresh air. If I'd been able to to, I'd have run an air hose from a pump on the balcony with fresh air, but the balconies were under repair, the doors sealed from outside to prevent accidental falls. So all I could do was leave the pumps running inside the tanks for circulation. Had to turn off the air pumps to avoid having any spray get in that way. The filters were under the plastic covers.

The effort paid off. No losses except for one tank of daphnia I forgot to cover. They were all dead the next day, in a room that wasn't sprayed.

I used to love air fresheners and used them all the time until I learned what's in most of them, about fifteen years ago, when I was diagnosed with dozens of food allergies and some chemical sensitivities. Many products I once used bother me so much I can't use them now.

Probably just as well. I don't buy antibacterial anything any more. With all the chemicals we douse germs in these days, I worry about resistance. If it says it kills 99% of the germs, what about that 1% that survives ? I think we're making them into superbugs we can't control.

I have already had one round with an antibiotic resistant bug; MRSA. Don't know how I got it, I wasn't in a hospital. I was sick for six months. My doc misdiagnosed it, which is common, gave me the antibiotic it is resistant to and made it even worse.

So I worry about this kind of thing now, we are drowning the planet and ourselves in chemical soup. If I have to clean near tanks, I wet the cloth and wipe, instead of spraying the cleaning stuff, even if it's only vinegar & water.

Back
Top Bottom