Injured BGK and Possible Injury on Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I have a year old Ghost knife, (tomorrow, i will have had him for exactly a year, so yay~), and he's beginning to get to large for all the caves I've found, and now has several scrapes, including a huge white splotch on his right side. He is not moving well, well... Slower than usual and when he fled to behind a fake bonsai tree, he was rather sluggish, and his pectoral fins flapped slower. I'll try to get clear pictures ASAP, because he's my oldest and most prized fish. I have gravel, which may be an issue. My white and black angel is fine, but my black angel's long skinny fin (what are they called exactly?) is half white, similar to the ghost knife. Last notes, there are bubbles forming where the water from the filter spills out back into the tank. Anything I could do to help the two and reduce/rid the bubbles?
Tank size is long, 55g. Running for a year and a month. Need to do a water change soon, I'm hoping to squeeze it in today or tomorrow.

Ghost knife was slightly uncooperative while taking photos, so it may be difficult to see the larger of the white splotches/scrapes.
I'm not entirely sure of they are gashes.

Attachments

• image-1736665077.jpg
    image-1736665077.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2427093770.jpg
    image-2427093770.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3217884435.jpg
    image-3217884435.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3273266211.jpg
    image-3273266211.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 66
  • image-4199867332.jpg
    image-4199867332.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2213538364.jpg
    image-2213538364.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 69
More pictures, they are hopefully clearer. The last pic is showing my black Angel's whiteness on those long fins. Things aren't looking good for now, except the dual-colored Angel is fine

Attachments

• image-1907509923.jpg
    image-1907509923.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3661350110.jpg
    image-3661350110.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1047164310.jpg
    image-1047164310.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1926389076.jpg
    image-1926389076.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image-528396629.jpg
    image-528396629.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 64
Well, if your BGK is a year old (yay!!!! Happy birthday ) he is going to be outgrowing the tank if he hasn't already. BGK need really clean water too, just like angels. When was your last water change, and What are your water parameters now?

Besides the angels, who else is in the tank? With this guy? Large black ghost knifes can get really territorial and get into fights with other fish.

As a side note, what are you feeding him? He seems somewhat small for a year old.

I just finished looking at the rest of your pictures. Ouch! The poor thing! Bk's are scaleless, so the rocks in the tank are probably busting him up. They need driftwood more than rocks for this reason, unless the rocks you are decorating with are smooth to the touch. If they will rough up your hands, they will rough up your fish.

Well, if your BGK is a year old (yay!!!! Happy birthday ) he is going to be outgrowing the tank if he hasn't already. BGK need really clean water too, just like angels. When was your last water change, and What are your water parameters now?

Besides the angels, who else is in the tank? With this guy? Large black ghost knifes can get really territorial and get into fights with other fish.

As a side note, what are you feeding him? He seems somewhat small for a year old.

Haha thanks! I don't plan on keeping him long-term, but he's doing fine as for outgrowing the 55g. I haven't been able to get a PWC, and plan to do so soon. The last water change was early-mid January, the parameters were really off, and I've been fighting them. After school, I'll test it, and finish my homework so I can try doing a PWC. The only thing in my tank is the BGK, and two angels. Nothing else. I'll mention I used to have two plecos (which I gave away), 4 long-finned rosy barbs which all died. I feed him flakes, but recently, a LFS owner told me a better way to feed him is at night. About how big are they generally at a year old? He was an inch when I brought him home.

I just finished looking at the rest of your pictures. Ouch! The poor thing! Bk's are scaleless, so the rocks in the tank are probably busting him up. They need driftwood more than rocks for this reason, unless the rocks you are decorating with are smooth to the touch. If they will rough up your hands, they will rough up your fish.

It looks worse in person. I'll try and get a video later, he doesn't move as he used to. There's also some plastic caves, which may be causin some of it. I plan on buying sand and changing the substrate, but I have no idea how to change it, and take care of the sand in there.

Well before you change the substrate, water changes need to be done weekly on your tank. At least 40-50%. That could be one of the big reasons he isn't swimming as much. Changing the water once a month is no good.

I forgot to ask in my last post, but what temperature is your tank set at?

BGK's are also nocturnal, and their eyes are super sensitive to light. So they need extra cover when you have the tank lights on.

As far as changing out the substrate, the best thing to do is get a couple people to help you do it. You're going to need a few 5 gallon buckets, you can get them at lowes or home depot for cheap. Get like... 4 of them.

Sand needs to be rinsed really well before you put it in your tank. Otherwise it will make the water super cloudy and may put toxic stuff in there. So pour some into a bucket, rinse it multiple times, then transfer it into a dry bucket. Repeat until all the sand is done with.
Next,
Fill each of the other buckets with water, and pull the decorations out. Give them a couple shakes to make sure they are clean, and put the ones you plan on putting back in there in a bucket with water.

Depending on what type of filter you have, either unplug the canister filter and leave it filled with water, or take the filter pads out of the hang on filter and put them in a bucket with the decorations.

Don't let the filter media dry out! Otherwise you'll have to re-cycle your tank.

Next, you want to CAREFULLY net the fish and put them in a bucket. If you have two heaters, I would put the BGK in one bucket and your other fish in another. He's so large that he'll hate the bucket, but he should fit. Your BGK probably won't fit in a net, so your best bet is to get your hands in the tank and lightly pick him up. Depending on how he is, getting him out with some of the decorations still in the tank might ne easier. (I've never moved my BGK, but that's how I would do it )
The next step is where multiple people come in handy so you can do this fast. Start draining the water and stir up all the gravel..you'll notice there will be a ton of debris and poop, so make sure you suck it up. Start pulling the gravel out. Use a cup or something to scoop it into another orange bucket. If you plan on keeping it and putting some back in, go ahead and drop it in a bucket with a small amount of water to really rinse it good. Otherwise, you can get it in a dry bucket and either trash it, or sell it on craigslist or something.
Next, once the tank is empty of rock and most, if not all of your water, start putting the sand in there. Easy! When you start putting water back in the tank, add it super slowly so it disturbes the sand as little as possible. Floating sand can mess up your filters. Use warm water from your sink or bathtub to make sure the water is between 70-80 degrees, otherwise your fish could go into shock from the temperature change.
Make sure you condition the water in each bucket before adding the water to the tank. (If you are open to suggestions, I use seachem Prime for my water conditioner and it works wonders! Though it is on the expensive side)
When the you have the tank a quarter of the way filled, add the decor back how you want it. You can always try a new configuration! Make sure any new driftwood or other things is rinsed and soaked before hand. Fill up the tank the rest of the way. If you added the water carefully enough, there should be some clouding, but not too much. Your filter should make quick work of it. Additionally, the water should still be warm, hopefully the same temperature as the tank was previously. Check the pH of the new water in the tank. It should be the same as as the pH in the buckets. As long as the pH is the same, and the temperature is very similar, put the heater(s) back in the tank and add the fish back in.

If the temperature or pH is very different, you'll need to acclimate them like any new fish.

Hope that helps!

Well before you change the substrate, water changes need to be done weekly on your tank. At least 40-50%. That could be one of the big reasons he isn't swimming as much. Changing the water once a month is no good.

I forgot to ask in my last post, but what temperature is your tank set at?

BGK's are also nocturnal, and their eyes are super sensitive to light. So they need extra cover when you have the tank lights on.

As far as changing out the substrate, the best thing to do is get a couple people to help you do it. You're going to need a few 5 gallon buckets, you can get them at lowes or home depot for cheap. Get like... 4 of them.

Sand needs to be rinsed really well before you put it in your tank. Otherwise it will make the water super cloudy and may put toxic stuff in there. So pour some into a bucket, rinse it multiple times, then transfer it into a dry bucket. Repeat until all the sand is done with.
Next,
Fill each of the other buckets with water, and pull the decorations out. Give them a couple shakes to make sure they are clean, and put the ones you plan on putting back in there in a bucket with water.

Depending on what type of filter you have, either unplug the canister filter and leave it filled with water, or take the filter pads out of the hang on filter and put them in a bucket with the decorations.

Don't let the filter media dry out! Otherwise you'll have to re-cycle your tank.

Next, you want to CAREFULLY net the fish and put them in a bucket. If you have two heaters, I would put the BGK in one bucket and your other fish in another. He's so large that he'll hate the bucket, but he should fit. Your BGK probably won't fit in a net, so your best bet is to get your hands in the tank and lightly pick him up. Depending on how he is, getting him out with some of the decorations still in the tank might ne easier. (I've never moved my BGK, but that's how I would do it )
The next step is where multiple people come in handy so you can do this fast. Start draining the water and stir up all the gravel..you'll notice there will be a ton of debris and poop, so make sure you suck it up. Start pulling the gravel out. Use a cup or something to scoop it into another orange bucket. If you plan on keeping it and putting some back in, go ahead and drop it in a bucket with a small amount of water to really rinse it good. Otherwise, you can get it in a dry bucket and either trash it, or sell it on craigslist or something.
Next, once the tank is empty of rock and most, if not all of your water, start putting the sand in there. Easy! When you start putting water back in the tank, add it super slowly so it disturbes the sand as little as possible. Floating sand can mess up your filters. Use warm water from your sink or bathtub to make sure the water is between 70-80 degrees, otherwise your fish could go into shock from the temperature change.
Make sure you condition the water in each bucket before adding the water to the tank. (If you are open to suggestions, I use seachem Prime for my water conditioner and it works wonders! Though it is on the expensive side)
When the you have the tank a quarter of the way filled, add the decor back how you want it. You can always try a new configuration! Make sure any new driftwood or other things is rinsed and soaked before hand. Fill up the tank the rest of the way. If you added the water carefully enough, there should be some clouding, but not too much. Your filter should make quick work of it. Additionally, the water should still be warm, hopefully the same temperature as the tank was previously. Check the pH of the new water in the tank. It should be the same as as the pH in the buckets. As long as the pH is the same, and the temperature is very similar, put the heater(s) back in the tank and add the fish back in.

If the temperature or pH is very different, you'll need to acclimate them like any new fish.

Hope that helps!

The temperature from the last time I checked it, was about 72-76, I've been meaning to replace the thermometer because it doesn't work anymore. I haven't adjusted the heater in a while, so it should be the same. I have 3 caves and several fake/live plants to add dark spaces for him, and he loves it. I keep the lights off during the day, only turnin it on for a few hours before bedtime. Would it be possible to buy a huge clear bin and stick the heater in it while I change the substrate? Would a 10" net be okay to net him, although he has several scratches/growth, and I don't want to risk of injuring him even more. He's fine with my hands without the ring, so that should be okay. Thank you for all the guidelines to changing the substrate! I'm starting to plan out a schedule for it so I can start buying the sand and stuff. Thanks!

One giant container would be even better actually. :)

If you do change out the substrate, post pictures so we can see! I've been thinking about switching to sand but it would be a looong change-out!

One giant container would be even better actually. :)

If you do change out the substrate, post pictures so we can see! I've been thinking about switching to sand but it would be a looong change-out!
Thanks! I found a spare heater I can use for it. I plan on posting a bunch of pictures, before and after. Any good decor I can use to make it an Asian-style tank? I was thinking of buying a bunch of plants to cover the backside, a bunch of smooth stones to replicate a Zen garden, and maybe even a slate cave or something. The slate I'm debating because it can be rough, which would possibly slice up the BGK's sides. Do you recommend anything?

Final photo of him. He died 2/23/2013. I'm extremely surprised and disappointed that he lasted a year and 3 days in my tank. I came home to really dirty tank, as my Dad accidentally overfed the remaining two fish. With that, it comes to me asking another question. My white and black angelfish has a red nose and a spot/growth on her left fin, and her bottom fin looks like its being rotted. I will be cleaning my tank later today after doing some chores, and posting results. My black angelfish still seems unaffected.

Attachments

• image-470487200.jpg
    image-470487200.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image-1868843845.jpg
    image-1868843845.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 47
  • image-3371210726.jpg
    image-3371210726.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 51
Im so sorry for your loss. Make sure you do a huge water change. With him being so large, he would have put off a lot of toxins lying there before you put him out.

The pic isn't too clear, but is the bump large or does it just look like a growth? Is it smooth, or does it look fuzzy?

Im so sorry for your loss. Make sure you do a huge water change. With him being so large, he would have put off a lot of toxins lying there before you put him out.

The pic isn't too clear, but is the bump large or does it just look like a growth? Is it smooth, or does it look fuzzy?

Thanks. I plan doing a 75% PWC tonight after my homework, to help fight off any toxins in there, as well as moldy food and stuff.
The bump looks like a growth, and is very tiny, size of the pupil of an angel or smaller, it looks smooth. It might the size of a bgk's eye when at 8-9 inches, like mine before he died. The fin rot, if it is fin rot, is twice the size as the lump on her left fin.

If it is fin rot, the clean water should help the recovery process. As for the bump, it could be a number of things, so that is really hard for me to say. You might want to create a new thread with the new symptoms for your angels to get the best treatemrnt options.

If it is fin rot, the clean water should help the recovery process. As for the bump, it could be a number of things, so that is really hard for me to say. You might want to create a new thread with the new symptoms for your angels to get the best treatemrnt options.

I think I'll make one after I get a close look at her while cleaning the tank. Maybe I could net her and actually get a good look, because it is near impossible to tell what kind of bump it is. She's also not moving very quickly, and hasn't been with the other angel for about 15 mins.

I noticed in the pictures that her fins don't seem to be clamped together, so she must not be too distressed at this point. Or are they and she was just swimming in the pictures?

I noticed in the pictures that her fins don't seem to be clamped together, so she must not be too distressed at this point. Or are they and she was just swimming in the pictures?

She was being camera shy and trying to get away. Sometimes her left will be clamped, but the right is always flapping normally. Should I put her in the isolator and watch her?

Back
Top Bottom