Injured Black Skirted Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello All,
I noticed yesterday that one of my black skirted tetras was missing a large part of his top fin, you could actually see red meat underneath. I've never seen any aggression in my community tank, but of the ones that chase each other it's this species. This morning, there is whitish specks all around the wound. It ate well and is acting normal. I'm hoping that the whitish area around the wound is from it starting to heal. I think I saw it almost immediately after it happened. I watch my tank pretty closely.

All other fish are fine, no discolorations and I haven't added any new fish for over a week when I put in a few endlers from my trusted LFS.

Any ideas? Thanks-D

Without a picture I can't tell you exactly what it is. From what you're describing it sounds like ick or fungus.

A picture would be great!

No it wouldn't cause it to come off but the ick is caused from stress and the fungus is caused from wounds on the fish.

No it wouldn't cause it to come off but the ick is caused from stress and the fungus is caused from wounds on the fish.

I'm pretty sure that I saw it shortly after his(/her?) fin was pulled off. They shouldn't be stressed, it's a peaceful tank and water params are perfect. Anything that I should do for the injury? How fast will the fungus grow after an injury and will it kill the fish?
I'm trying to get a picture with my phone, but as soon as I go up to the tank everyone crowds around and looks at me... These tetras are not super aggressive to each other. I watch this tank for hours and everyone gets along really well. Not sure how it could have gotten this injury, picture to follow but I don't know if it will help.
Thanks-D

Okay, I took a pic of an uninjured one to show you how much fin is missing on the injured one. I don't know if this will help, the pictures are terrible. Thanks for looking though-D

Attachments

• Uninjured.jpg
    Uninjured.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Injured I.jpg
    Injured I.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Injured II.jpg
    Injured II.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 45
Update

The white spots on the injury were not fungus. Fin is starting to grow back with no help from me. Mother nature comes to the rescue again.

Back
Top Bottom