Injured Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
My female German Blue Ram has a wound on her head. It looks to be an open wound and is red. I have a female Bolivian ram in the tank also and the blue ram will get after her sometimes if she gets too close, so I wonder if the bolivian finally fought back.
To me, it looks like a scrape. I'm not sure how she would have gotten it though.

The tank is a 55g. It has been setup for a year. I have an Aquaclear 70 on the tank. It is moderately planted.

The other tank inhabitants are:
3 angels (2 small 3in long and 3.5-4in tall and 1 5in long and 6-7in tall)
4 yoyo loaches (all about 4in)
1 bolivian ram (female) (2.5in)
8 cories (5 sodalis-2.2in, 3 trilineatus-2in)
2 ottos (2in each)
9 flame tetras (1in each)
8 head and tailight tetras (1.5in each)
1 bristlenose (~4in)

I changed the water Wednesday evening. I changed ~40%. I do weekly 40-50% water changes.

Tank parameters about 10min ago were:
ammonia:0
nitrIte:0
nitrAte:10ppm
pH: 7

I have had the blue ram for about 6 months. She eats OSI angelfish flakes (all fish do), OSI spirulina flakes (alternate with angel kind), shrimp pellets (off the bottom), and cichlid granules (every now and then).

I added Melafix to the tank...I didn't remove her because I didn't want to stress her out. The power went out in my house a couple hours ago. It was off for about 45min-1 hour. All the other fish seem fine. I don't think it has anything to do with the wound...just wanted to add it though.
She is hanging out near the top of the tank, very unlike her. She also didn't make any effort to eat when I fed the fish earlier. She usually will catch falling flakes and pick at the pellets on the bottom, but she was not interested today.

Here are a couple pictures...sorry for the bad quality:
img_649160_0_f7b1638c4afc8a18b58c073bbbcaf40a.jpg

img_649160_1_c38d7aa1f70804e75f8dd95a3945f285.jpg

Treating with Melafix is a good idea. I can't tell the extent of the wound from the pics but it doesn't seem too serious. I wouldn't put it past the Bolivian...perhaps a mild territorial skirmish occurred.

Thanks. I haven't seen her have a disagreement with any of the other fish, so the bolivian is the only suspect.

She is staying near the top of the tank. I can't tell if she's sleeping or just not swimming right, but she is just kind of floating, but her fins are still moving. The current from the filter keeps getting her and pushing her down, but she'll swim right back up to the top. She seems to be breathing fast...she may be sleeping though, all the lights have been out.

I'm worried. I love that fish. She is my prettiest one, I would just hate for something to happen. Her injury doesn't look that bad, its her behavior that bothers me. I guess I'll just have to watch her.

I'd actually treat with both Melafix and Pimafix. Both work together and do a great job in keeping the fish from further problems, as long as you maintain excellent water conditions.

Her injury doesn't look that bad, its her behavior that bothers me. I guess I'll just have to watch her.

Injured fish tend to behave in this way, it's not unusual. I agree with Wolf on the Pimafix addition and keeping the tank pristine. If she is eating, that is half the battle.

Actually she was dead this morning. I didn't think it was that bad...but I guess it was. The water was fine...it was clean. I guess I should have caught it earlier in the day and started treating earlier.

I have had her for about 6 months. I got her from a small LFS in my area. The place has alot of unique fish that the chain stores don't and is the best LFS in my area...even though its an hour away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom