Injured Fish, Not Sure How to Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I picked up 5 Snow White Cichlids (Albino Socolofi) yesterday, which are around 2/3inch each, to add to my 60G Mbuna tank.
I drip acclimated them as best as I could for a couple hours.
Closed the curtains, fed the fish, added the new ones and everything was going fine, no one was getting picked on, they were all out in view and were even going for a bit of food.

So I came downstairs this morning and only saw 4 Albino's.. I searched about a bit and found the fifth pressed against the intake strainer of my FX6.
This was at around 9am, I know that the filter purges itself at 3am/pm so it could have been stuck there for 6 hours.
Still, I know it's a decent filter but could a healthy fish really get stuck being sucked up against the grid?

Anyway, I turned off the FX6 and the fish swam free, clearly dazed.
It was swimming around doing all kinds of backflips and barrel rolls, the other fish were also pecking at it.
I removed the fish and put it in a hospital tank for the time being.

I have Melafix, Stress-zyme, Aquarium Salt, Ich Medicine and Fungal Disease Treatment.

Can any of these help?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did he appear healthy when you purchased him and after acclimation? It's possible he was already unwell. In general, a healthy fish should not become stuck to filtration systems. However, I have had fish knock off filter intake covers before and become stuck in/against the intake tube (head first, belly first, tail first, etc). Almost all of these fish made complete recoveries with lots of time and lots of healthy water despite some horrific injuries and serious loss of equilibrium.

I would not treat with meds at this point as there is nothing specific that can be identified to treat. Keep the water healthy and stress minimal and allow him sufficient time to recover. Please ask if you have questions!

Well... It's slightly dead...
It did look fine throughout Sunday, before and after acclimation.
Guess it was a weakling, I don't think I'm buying fish from shops anymore, it's just not worth the unreliable service.

Online shopping is my new thing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom