Injured Fish - not sure how to help him!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamGood12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 60 gal freshwater tropical community tank. A few days ago, my African leaf fish got stuck swimming through a hole in a decoration. I'm not sure how long he was there, no longer than overnight, but he messed himself up pretty good. I was able to gently push him through the next morning, but he's been pretty mopey since it happened. He's normally very active and full of personality, but he's been sulking and hiding since it happened. He's got two injured areas and I'm not sure if there's anything I should do to help him. I've been keeping an eye on the tank and no one seems to be picking on him. Tonight he also finally showed enough spunk to swim to the top to eat.

I'm not sure if I should just give him a few days and see if the areas heal? They're looking almost a little swollen and the scales are just tore up. I will try to go get some pictures to upload. He's one of my favorite fish and I'm really bummed this happened! He's not using all his fins and his spines along his top don't stand up anymore.

Sorry if I'm not using any of the correct lingo or terms. This is my first time posting, as I've been able to handle everything else my tank has thrown at me so far. :)

adding pics...

Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest. He immediately hides as soon as I come to the tank. (I swear he's embarrassed!) My cell camera is also terrible. You can see some of the damaged area along his top ridge. The worst part is on his belly, right near the little fins that hang down. (Sorry again for poor terminology.) That part is actually pretty rough looking but I couldn't get a good photo.

Attachments

• leaf 1.jpg
    leaf 1.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 79
  • leaf 2.jpg
    leaf 2.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 86
API Melifix to start out with I always use that first when I see an injury worth noting (I have cichlids so I get them every so often)

API Melifix to start out with I always use that first when I see an injury worth noting (I have cichlids so I get them every so often)

Thank you! I will get some tomorrow.
Would you recommend pulling him out separately to treat or just treat the tank? The few times I've had to treat the tank for something, it was across the tank, not a specific fish, so I don't have experience with a quarantine tank. But he's one of my favorites and I want to try my best not to screw this up!

It would be better if you have the suppliesto do so. But if the other fish are not harassing him he should be fine either way.

Also if the treatment doesn't work over the course of a week I'd recommend getting something stronger like furan -2 or some other anti bacterial. Of course if you notice something else like a fungus medicate accordingly. But of course I'm not a vet just a fellow fish keeper so if you hear something else from someone more qualified listen to them lol [emoji23]

omni024 That you for your advice! I bought Melafix today and dosed the tank. I sat and watched them awhile and they're still leaving him alone, so I'm going to leave him in there for now. :)

Doing much better!

Thanks again omni024! My leaf fish is doing much better. He'll have some scars I think (my 5 year old calls them Tough Guy Marks) but he's active again and feeding! Peace is back in the tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom