Injured goldfish eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean105

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Pearl Scale goldfish has injured her eye and the remnants are dangling outside her head. I am not sure how it happened because in the morning she was fine and when I got back from class I discovered the injury.
She is swimming around like normal and finding her food so I don’t think she is sick. Are there any measures I should take to help this heal and prevent infection, such as medication or aquarium salt? And what should I do about the eye? Its just hanging there and I don’t want it to get infected. Should I try to remove it?

Welcome to AA! What size tank and what other tank mates? You need to do regular and possibly extra water changes to keep the water pristine. Without knowing more about your tanks I can't offer any more advice.

I have a 10gallon tank with an Oranda, Black moor, and a Pearlscale (minus an eye). I know it’s a small tank for 3 fish but I am moving soon and plan on getting a 30gallon tank after the move.

For that size of tank you should be doing water changes every couple of days. Goldfish should have a minimum of 20 gals first fish and 10 gals each additional one.

Keep up with extra water changes and add some aquarium salt and keep an eye on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom