Injured Keyhole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm very confused yesterday evening I was feeding my fish everyone ate well. Then later my husband noticed a white area in front of the Keyhole Cichlids dorsal fin. I did not see it before I fed or while they were eating. The spot is not fuzzy but it looks like his scales are displaced. I did walk away for approximately 20 minutes while he was pecking at the food on the gravel. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What else is in the tank? Pic's please

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry it's super hard to take pics of him he's shy. Otherwise, I have 1 oto, 3 angelicus botia, 6 panda corydora, 2 honey gourami, and 2 black phantom.

Sure it's an oto? How big is it?

For sure I've owned him for 2 years now. He's only about an 1 inch with a definite black lines down both side of him.

Ok, just ruling out cae incident. Tank age and parameters, size?

Tank is 55 gallon column had it up and running for 1 1/2 years, nitrates between 10 and 20, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, ph 6.8

Any sharo decor it could have bopped itself on??

That's what I'm thinking but I have never seen a fish with an inury. So I don't really know what it is supposed to look like. Here's my tank pic. It could have been the tree to the right.

Attachments

• 1420913499886.jpg
    1420913499886.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 50
If the stumps or trees are ceramic ill bet he darted into a sharp spot as Cleithracara maronii do when even slightly scared. I only use resin type décor and will check every inch for sharp or pointy spots. Keep an eye on it and just do a couple extra water changes.

oh fancy pants knows scientific names, lol. He probably hurt himself on the ceramic wood thing you got in there. Very pretty tank btw, I enjoy it. Keep the water clean, limit undue stress, and he will heal up. They are hardy in general. Is he still eating and carrying on as usual?

oh fancy pants knows scientific names, lol. He probably hurt himself on the ceramic wood thing you got in there. Very pretty tank btw, I enjoy it. Keep the water clean, limit undue stress, and he will heal up. They are hardy in general. Is he still eating and carrying on as usual?

Hey hey hey! I like my fancy pants!!!! Yea I have 3 of them and they are about to go to some one else. 1 min they are at the front of the tank looking right at you next min they act like they saw a ghost and go flying around the tank like a bunch of idiots banging into stuff.

Lol you guys are funny! Yep he does the same thing. He's such a shy fish except when it comes to feeding time. I was just worried because I have had the dreaded ich before, but it didn't look anything like that. Thanks for the compliment on the tank. Maybe one day I'll have real plants but I'm happy with my tank for now.

Ppo8820 forgot to add that he eats like a pig.

Happy to say Guido healed like a super hero! When he came out to feed didn't look like he even was injured! Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence. I'm just paranoid because I have had such good luck with this tank so far. Here's a picture from last night. He looks so derpy. Also he keeps moving my bubble wand. Jerk.

Attachments

• 1420992697995.jpg
    1420992697995.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 35
LOL glad he's ok. If you want 3 more and are in the Chicago area you can have mine. Look about the same size.

Nope I'm in Ohio. And he's plenty enough for my tank. I've had him since he was a baby and he thinks he's a panda corydora. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom