injured pictus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok.. i bought this pictus from the store today.. well two of them, they both looked fine but upon further inspection tonight i noticed that one was missing its little fin on its right side (the hook/spine fin)..

i was wondering if its alright to keep him in a larger tank such as my 55gal with a lot of traffic (pleco still moving in rearranging sand as we speak) or should I keep him in a slower paced tank.

he seems to eat well and all but im just worried that he may get hit by some of the flow and knocked into the wood or something because the pleco is putting out some big blasts with his tail...

If the fish is injured I wouldn't move it again unless it couldn't fend for itself in that tank. If the pictus is swimming and eating that's a pretty good sign that things are working out. It may also be a deformity in the fish. If this is the case and the fish has survived this far, it will likely do fine.

ok.. i bought this pictus from the store today..

Are you not quarantining your new fish first? Heck! Forget about his missing fin for a minute and think about losing a entire tank population by possibly introducing some disease/parasite 8O :!:

Other than that, ditto what BrianNY said.

A lot of people don't quarentine... I try to wait two weeks after a shipment is in before I'll buy from my LFS. I also check ALL the tanks (unless it is the angel/blue rams/discus tanks because they are on separate filters) to make sure there are no diseases. If everyone checks out okay, then I'll buy a fish. They once had a breakout of ich in their tanks so I stayed clear for a little over a month. Never had a problem. *knock on wood*

Back
Top Bottom