Injured Western Rainbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lev

Aquarium Advice Activist
My biggest and stupidest rainbowfish has outgrown a rock arch in the tank and got stuck in it. By the time id released him hed managed to do himself some nasty injuries, having lost a lot scales from the dorsal aspect of his head and a nasty looking abrasion just in front of the dorsal fin.

We're doing a big water change, and will keep the water extra clean whilst he heals, and are getting rid of the arch.

Do you guys think i should medicate the whole 300L tank as well and if so what would you use? Ive got a load of bamboo and amano shrimp in there with the fish.

My biggest and stupidest rainbowfish has outgrown a rock arch in the tank and got stuck in it. By the time id released him hed managed to do himself some nasty injuries, having lost a lot scales from the dorsal aspect of his head and a nasty looking abrasion just in front of the dorsal fin.

We're doing a big water change, and will keep the water extra clean whilst he heals, and are getting rid of the arch.

Do you guys think i should medicate the whole 300L tank as well and if so what would you use? Ive got a load of bamboo and amano shrimp in there with the fish.
20171117_202201.jpg

Here is a pic

Fresh water should be fine.
If the shrimp tolerate it , a little MB goes a long way towards healing wounds and keeping them from getting infected.

He's developed a cotton wool like growth over the head wound.

Have seperated from others and placed in clean (100%) water. Have added the only treatment we currently have in which is the "interpet fungus & finrot" which is phenoxyethanol 40000mg/100ml

Phenoxyethanol[edit]

Phenoxyethanol is often used as a fish sedative or anaesthetic but also has antibacterial and fungicide properties. This chemical is used as a 1% solution (typically use 100mg of powder dissolved in 1000ml of distilled water) and dosage is 10ml per litre of quarantine tank water. Repeat every 2-3 days up to a maximum of 3 times if the animal shows no signs of recovery before performing a 50-60% water change.
Taken from https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Fungus_treatment
Sounds like it could work.

Back
Top Bottom