Injury - Help Please. Re-Dose Stress Coat??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbanner

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. My 3" fantail goldfish has an injury (I think?!?) of some type on his underbelly kind of near/behind/under his left front fin. It's about the size of a small pea, and it's reddened (I don't see any fungus or anything, just a red spot) - can't see any more than that... It's hard to see, and I don't want to further compromise his slime coat by turning him over physically. I don't know how he could have done this, but I just removed a plastic plant just in case (he's never gone near it before, but it was the only thing that's "sharp" in the tank).
He's also missing a few scales on that side as well... He's acting completely normal. Eating well, poking around substrate; swimming around playfully with his tankmate.

Here are our vitals:
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Covered above
2~What are your tank parameters ammonia: 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, temp 72, pH 7.6
3~ How large is the tank? 20 gal... set up for four years (I'm cycling a 55g)
4~What type of filtration are you using? Whisper 30
5~How many fish are in the tank? I know now that I'm grossly overstocked (cycling 55g right now)... two 3" fantail goldfish (one of which is the patient)
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? I've been doing about 40% every two days for the past six-eight weeks (when I learned how overstocked I am)... before that 50% weekly.. Treat with Prime... I vacuum about 1/3 of the substrate with each water change.. Note: I don't have a lot of substrate - it's only one pebble deep... almost bare in some spots.
7~How long have you had the fish? Around two years (both)
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Nothing, except for an initial dose of Stress Coat last night after noticing the injury/spot
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Nothing new.. I alternate pellets (pre-soaked in treated water) and some peas (softened and shelled in treated water).. only what they will eat in a minute or so, and then remove uneaten food.

I treated with a double dose of API Stress Coat last night (just bought it)... previous to this, I was trying to just resolve the issue of the scales by keeping the water really clean... But I think that this injury is new... tough to know though because I don't see his underbelly often. I was on the floor under the tank dusting, looked up and saw it:(

How soon can/should I re-dose with Stress Coat? Anything else I should do? The new 55gal tank is still cycling...
Thank you!!!

The fact that you mentioned in the very last sentnce that "the tank is still cycling" leads me to offer the advice that you monitor water quality very closely and do lots of water changes. Ammonia will stress and kill a fish very easily. Luckily, carp are fairly tolerant of ammoia, more so the common and wild types.

Back
Top Bottom