Internal Parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHBGator

Aquarium Advice Activist
3 Of my Zebra Danio's have huge fat bellies, the only problem is that they are fat only on one side and the bulges at times also look like they are pointed. None of my other fish look like this tho only 3 of the Zebras. Then I watched one of them poop and it was all white and larger at one end than the other. then one of the other Zebra's swam by and ate it. Should I be concerned?

What are your water parameters? I would be concerned to be sure. Are they still eating? If you can take them out and QT them and treat with some medicated food that would be good. I am not positve they have an internal parasite but the poop would be one possible indication. Do they exhibit any other signs?

No other signs, they eat the same, no eradic swimming behavior, they chase eachother around like normal. its just those Bellies! I'll have to wait till saturday to test the water parameters.

Usually internal parasites cause a listless swimming pattern and extreme thinning instead of getting larger. I think I'd be more concerned they may have an internal bacterial infection. You could try feeding a medicated anti-bacterial food instead of treating your water with an antibiotic, which often has major downfalls.

Poor water quality can also cause general ailments that can be cured simply with water changes.

I'll have a kit on saturday to test the water again, but I just changed to sand substrate last week and I've been doing about 10-20% water changes every other day since then.

Anyone Know of a good Med for FLUKES! :cry: One of the Fish passed what looks to be a fluke. It was white and about 1cm long. I'm going to go and try to siphon it up and have a look at it uder a microscope. Cross your fingers its not.

Stirred up the area where it fell and a Zebra swooped in and ate it :evil:

a parasite that humans can get depending on what type of fluke it is.

Back
Top Bottom