internal parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smallfry53

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, unfortunately I think one of my pristella (x-ray) tetras has an internal parasite. It hasn't been eating very much and is starting to look like it's stomach is sunken in. I would like to save this little guy, but I really don't want all my other fish getting it.

The other fish are pristellas, zebra danios, black kuhli loaches a couple calico ansistrus and a couple snails. Not sure what kind of snails (plant riders).

I would like to treat that fish/the tank so this doesn't get worse, but not sure what to do/meds to use. I have increased the temp. some, because I have heard that can help with illness but not sure what else to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

O and my water parameters are fine and I do 40-50% water changes every 4-5 days

Thanks for the reply! The fish in question isn't really eating. It pretty much just spits everything back out from what I have seen. The only thing it did go nuts over is when I was removing a couple snail egg sacs. It loved the snail eggs.

Should I feed my fish some anti parasite food anyway, just to make sure the other fish don't have it and treat the one fish with jungle parasite clear? Can any of this be harmful to the fish?

Yeah it's fine to treat the entire tank. I've never had any adverse reactions from doing a tank treatment, although often times in small fish when they are already showing signs of sunken belly, no appetite, etc, it might be too late.

That's what I thought. Thanks a lot jeta. So if I feed the fish the anti parasite food for a while, will I be ok? or do I need to change my filters etc.?

I found food and a liquid medication. Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food and Seachem Para Guard. The food says you can use the liquid stuff together, So I have been feeding the fish the food, and treating the water for the last three days.

I was wondering if someone has experience with internal parasites and how long I need to continue treatment? The food says to feed three consecutive days a week for four weeks, but not sure about the liquid meds. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

One of my pristellas died yesterday and another one is starting to get thin even though I have been treating them. I'm starting to think they are all going to get it one by one. Maybe it isn't a parasite? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom